View post (Playing two chords at the same time)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/08/2020 2:07 am
Originally Posted by: faith83I'm working on a song and weirdly enough, the song seems to want two chords at the same time in one measure, D and E (in the key of A).[/quote]

Is this someone else's song & it's somehow written to indicate to play those 2 chords at the same?

Or is this a song you are in the process of composing? If so, how did you determine that you should play 2 chords simultaneously? The sound of two chords? The melody suggests one, but the harmony suggests the other?

Originally Posted by: faith83I know I could do this on piano, but is there also a way to play a D chord and and E chord at the same time on guitar?

The nature of the guitar is going to severely limit your voicing options if you want all the notes of both chords included. But you are describing a polychord.

Here are a few options:

|--2------------7------7-----------|

|--3------------7------9-----------|

|--2------------11-----9-----------|

|--4------------0------0-----------|

Because you only have 6 strings & a limited number of fingers usually this kind of chord winds up being an extended harmony chord or a slash chord.

Examples:

E/D (slash chord - meaning an E major chord with a D bass note - could also be considered a 3rd inversion E7 chord)

|----4-------------------------|

|----5-------------------------|

|----4-------------------------|

|-------------------------------|

|----5-------------------------|

|-------------------------------|

D/E (D major with E in bass - also a kind of E11 chord)

|--2----2----------5-----------|

|--3----3----7----7-----------|

|--2----2----7----7-----------|

|--------2----7----------------|

|-------------7----7-----------|

|--0----------------------------|

I cover dom11 chords in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=16336&s_id=1195

[quote=faith83]I tried googling it and I got some info on polychords, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing and anyway, no chord charts for D and E at the same time.

Yes, polychords are exactly that: two chords at the same time. But depending on how you voice it, it can effectively be an extended harmony chord. Again, the logistics of the guitar make it difficult to voice two complete triad chords simultaneously.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory