View post (writing Guitar tunes)

View thread

canuck7
canuck7
01/06/2003 5:18 pm
hey everyone,
this looks long but it's actually really short.
i normally write some good songs while playing songs i like. what happens is that i start to play a song and then i do my own thing based on it and something good comes about 65 percent of the time.
a week or two ago i was playing this Nirvana chord progression (Polly or teen spirit or something) and i had been playing it for a bit and i started playing the verse riff again and after playing the first chord, i did this random chord progression movement thingy and it sounded great! i love my song now.
also, i was playing a Metallica riff and i did this really fast movement through a bunch of chords and ended on this nice little pentatonic lick in the seventh fret. it was pure adrenaline and it was pretty hardcore. my friends were all confused, they couldn't figure out which Metallica song it was until i convinced them (hard task) that it was my own blood sweat and tears.
i never really have a problem writing punk music though(whew, i'm a guitarist in a punk band). i just run through a bunch of chord progressions and find something catchy and build a riff around it and make a neat little punk solo and i'm done. i once about four songs one after another in about an hour.
also, drum machines are a good idea.
but just try this out. i works for me and my friends.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.