What is the best tremelo system for my guitar.

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/24/2020 2:17 am

I'm getting a Ibanez PS60 Paul Stanley signature guitar for my birthday and I'm selling my old guitar to my friend and will use that money for upgrading the Ibanez, one of the things I want is a whammy system so I'd like to know which I should buy.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2020 11:28 am
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I'm getting a Ibanez PS60 Paul Stanley signature guitar for my birthday and I'm selling my old guitar to my friend and will use that money for upgrading the Ibanez, one of the things I want is a whammy system so I'd like to know which I should buy.

If you really want a guitar with a vibrato system I'd encourage you to just get a differrent guitar or an additional guitar. The PS60 is a tradional hardtail guitar designed with a Gibson style bridge. I think any decent vibrato system you put on that guitar is going to involve money & have to be retrofitted by drilling modifications.

That said, if you are insistent, here are some options.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/bridges-and-tailpieces/bridges-and-tailpieces-for-electric-guitar/floyd-rose-frx-surface-mount-tremolo-system.html

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/bridges-and-tailpieces/bridges-and-tailpieces-for-electric-guitar/bigsby-b50-vibrato.html

https://stetsbar.com/index.html

I don't think Ibanez manufacturers those guitars with a vibrato block cavity that you can just use to drop a Strat style block in there.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/24/2020 5:12 pm

I agree with Schlegel -- adding a decent tremolo to that guitar is going to require serious modifications and drilling. Guitars that have tremolos are pretty much built that way from the start. "One does not simply add a whammy bar." :)

Speaking of whammy systems, be ready for everything that goes along with it... changing strings on my 7-string Floyd Rose (on my Schecter) is NOT fun!!! Haha. Although it is a joy to play and holds tune perfectly once it's all working. I just dread how long it actually takes to restring and get it set up to play -- something like an hour of frustration! (That's why guitarists always hire guitar techs, because who wants to mess with all that when you're trying to be creative?) I'll usually opt for a simple Fender Strat-style tremolo (like on my PRS SE-24) any day, for ease of use and light vibrato without major tuning problems. But once you start dive-bombing, yeah, you're gonna need a locking nut, etc.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/24/2020 5:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

I agree with Schlegel -- adding a decent tremolo to that guitar is going to require serious modifications and drilling. Guitars that have tremolos are pretty much built that way from the start. "One does not simply add a whammy bar." :)

Speaking of whammy systems, be ready for everything that goes along with it... changing strings on my 7-string Floyd Rose (on my Schecter) is NOT fun!!! Haha. Although it is a joy to play and holds tune perfectly once it's all working. I just dread how long it actually takes to restring and get it set up to play -- something like an hour of frustration! (That's why guitarists always hire guitar techs, because who wants to mess with all that when you're trying to be creative?) I'll usually opt for a simple Fender Strat-style tremolo (like on my PRS SE-24) any day, for ease of use and light vibrato without major tuning problems. But once you start dive-bombing, yeah, you're gonna need a locking nut, etc.

-Carl.

Thanks carl.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.