View post (Next level)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
08/28/2020 5:00 pm
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

That does really help in many ways Moe thank you. Would you mind describing the issue with your initial guitar specifically? I've had issues with my action on my guitar on the B and high E string at the first few frets. It was obvious to anyone with eyes they were much higher than the other strings. Yet the local music store luthier (repair guy) said nope. Can't lower the action. Which I could not understand. I changed strings to these Elixir I really don't like at all (I had light Ernie ball and loved them). So curious what issues you had. And what guitar you replaced it with? As for the electric I don't have a huge budget can anyone recommend a good beginner one with a lot of bang for my buck. (300$) That's all I can do unless that's not good I can save I guess. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Hi,

You can't see it too well, but it's in my profile pic. It had a bridge that was lifting from the bottom causing the action to be even higher. I could actually slide a pick underneath it in the corner. Common problem with lower and mid level guitars with thick laquered bodies. This was an Ibanez AEL 20. It was loaned to me and did it's job of getting me through the initial learning process, but boy it killed my fingers and hands when I got to Fundamentals 2 trying to learn Barre chords. Plus I was afraid it might eventually pop off all together and that would have been worse. It was fixable, but due to pandemic service departments and shops were either closed or limited hours so it would have been away for 3-4 weeks and I didn't want to wait that long without a guitar so I gave it back to person who loaned it to me and figured it was time to buy my own.

It's a Breedlove Discovery Concert ( blemished model) but looks, sounds and plays great to my novice playing abilities. It's Breedloves entry model. I have a pic and full writeup on the Gear Reviews thread. I'm happy with it and it made a difference in my learning, but I'm always looking at new guitars though and have my sites on the higher end Breedlove or Taylor, or Martin. I'm mostly an acoustic player cause I enjoy the sounds of it, but I can see the advantage of an electric for other styles of playing. I'm just not sure how much I want to spend on one. I used to play in my twenties so I've had my share of "Beginer level guitars" and I can already tell the difference in playability when you move up the price spectrum. From Bills writeup on his beautiful Godin I think he knows the difference as well.

By the way my last name is Godin, but unfortunately not related to the guitar family.

So that's my dilemna. Spend my money on one high quality acoustic or spread it around and get a decent electric to go along with my decent current acoustic.

However, with all that said chinese models have come a long way and if your budget is in the $300 range I would think you could pick up a nice Squire ( Fender copy ) or Epiphone (gibson copy) for that amount. Hell, I might even look at those. Go to your local Guitar Center stores. They have plenty in that range, but don't forget to budget for an amp and a strap. Play as many as you can and choose what's comfortable and easiest to play for you.

Good Luck,

Moe