View post (Next level)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
08/22/2020 2:18 pm

Hi Tammielyn,

I will defer to Chris or one of the other GT experts regarding your help with proper learning path, personally I would recommend you do go straight to Fundamentals 2 right after you finish with 1 because there is so much more in there that might help bridge that technical gap ( 2 guitar to 4 guitar difficulty) you mentioned. Nothing wrong with challenging yourself with more advanced stuff, but having a solid foundation in the basics will make it a little easier.

You mentioned Rock as an interest and that will involve power chords which is covered in level 2. Lisa teaches it and she uses an electric, however you can learn on either acoustic or electric as chords and notes are all the same. The only difference is the sound and playability of the instruments. Electrics are much easier on the hands and fingers which is going to make Power and Barre chords a lot more enjoyable. I'm more of an acoustic player and my first guitar had terrible action on it, but I didn't really know it at the time and boy did I suffer. So much so that I kinda went through level 2 a bit too quick so I'm going through it again with my newer acoustic which is setup better to see if it would be easier to do the lessons and it is, but i'm still thinking of picking up a cheap electric just to try and rock out a bit on them power chords.

However, to answer your question there is no level of proficiency on one before going to the other. Heck you could even ditch the acoustic and do all the lessons on electric if you wanted. The learning methods are all the same.

Hope that helped.

Moe