View post (How I'm practicing going forward)

View thread

meharbrar12
meharbrar12
08/19/2020 3:36 am

Hi everyone! So I'm about to finish up with Guitar Fundamental's 1 and I'm going to start Fundamental's 2 very soon. I have not actually started playing any songs as of yet but thats what I'm going to start now. I just wanted to share how I intend to practice going forward and I'm happy to take suggestions to make sure I'm getting the most benefit out of my practice.

(The times I'm noting are not exact, I'm starting school soon so these can change depending on the workload I get)

I intend to spend 15 min or so doing some simple warm ups or even scales when I get the chance to learn them. I'll then try to spend a half hour going through the lessons on Guitar Tricks (Fundamental's 2) learning new technique. I'll then spend the final part of my practice sessions trying to learn new songs. The song I chose to learn does have a barre chord, so I plan on playing the simplified version of it. As I get better and learn new technique I'll go back to songs and I will add the small touch ups to make them better.

Finally, just a question I have when it comes to theory. A long term goal I would really love to build towards is to actually write my own Music. I was just wondering, when should I really start to focus on learning music theory and how should I go about learning it. Should I begin to analyze the songs I'm trying to learn and play? What aspects of these songs should I try to dissect in order to make me a better and more knowledgeable guitar player.

Sorry about how long this is, I just want to make sure I'm going about these things the right way.