Learning new technique vs leaning songs

meharbrar12
meharbrar12
08/18/2020 3:54 pm

Hi everyone, so I'm at the very end of Guitar Fundamentals 1, and I'm wrapping up 4/4 strumming. I was wondering when I go to start Fundmentals 2, how do I find a balance between practicing new techniques like barre chords for example and learning the songs I enjoy. In Fundementals 1 we did songs that helped with our chord changes but I didn't 100% enjoy playing these songs, I just used them as tools for getting better at chord changes. Just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations when it comes to finding this balance.

Thanks!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/18/2020 5:00 pm

Hi meharbrar12,

This is a great question. Lisa and the other instructors will always teach you a handful of original songs to play so that you can practice the techniques you learned during the course. I understand where you're coming from.

The balance is all up to you. Guitartricks is all about self-learning so you have to decide how you want to approach things.

What I like to do is simply find a song I enjoy and try to learn it. Most likely, you will struggle with a new song, but that means you're also learning.

Another thing I recommend is if you're a little bored of the Core Learning, then go ahead and jump into a song lesson. You have be aware of how you're feeling when you're playing and learning.

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/18/2020 5:33 pm

I've always thought the problem is not what to practice, but how to find the time. I max out at two hours a day and there's still stuff that doesn't get done. None the less, I keep reminding myself that it's not a competition, it's not a race, and the learning will never end assuming I want to keep learning.

Roughly, I have four main blocks of 'stuff' that I bulid my practice sessions around, the premise being it all needs to be practiced, there is no 'either, or':

- warmup and drills wherein I concentrate on building my chops, i.e., technique. I devote a lot of time to this because... you know... I need to.

- new songs; songs I'm learning for the first time

- review and refresh old songs; I gotta go back and practice songs I've learned or I'll lose 'em. It builds the repertoire.

- lessons (not songs), i.e., GT (or other) lessons that teach technique and new 'stuff.'

How much I or you devote to any of these blocks depends on what needs the work. While it's important to remain sharp with what has already been learned it's more important to concentrate on what one doesn't do well... the hard stuff. Constant playing and replaying of what is already down pat gets in the way of one's progress.

IMO.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.