View post (Hello!)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/24/2023 4:58 am

Hey Kurt -

Your story sounds exactly like mine from a couple of years ago:  exactly!

I went ahead and worked through all of the beginner lessons before hitting the blues course and I’m very glad that I did.  I was a good high intermediate acoustic guitarist who wanted to play electric lead - blues first in particular, then move on to rock.  That was a couple of years ago and I couldn’t be happier with my choice to get on here at GT.

From a musical standpoint, the beginner course was stuff I’ve know for decades with not much new at all for me BUT (intentions caps here) I identified and was able to correct a lot of technical inaccuracies in my playing that I believe were part of the reason I wasn’t able to move my playing to “the next level”.  For example, properly adjusting how I hold a pick has made a noticeable change in the quality of my play.  I’d always faked/bulshitted my way all these years covering up my own inadequacies through a number of these technical issues but the stuff here at GT is  getting me through it.

You’ll hear a lot of complaints about the loss of songs (sadly true) but the quality, variety, and volume of teaching content here is truly superb.  For me, the song library was a great bonus, but I was more interested in learning to play for myself (improvise) rather than just copy the playing of others.

2 years for me now and I plan on being around for a while.

Welcome!

Rumble