Changing Am to Em, Chapter 4 - Am and Em, Chord Ch

dostal.it
dostal.it
08/13/2020 9:32 pm

I have a technical question about the advice on changing between Am and Em chords. In the lesson, Lisa recommends to keep middle finger on string, move index finger to second fret A and lift the ring finger.

So I endup playing Em with index and middle fingers on second fret.

Every other tutorial to play Em I've seen says you should be playing Em with middle and ring finger. To me it does make more sense because then you just lift your index finger and move the whole group one string up. There is also added benefit of being able to play E easily.

I understand that in the end you can play the chords however comfortable it is for you, but I am just wondering if the advice from this lesson has some advantage over the "usual" way of playing it?

Thank you

# 1
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/13/2020 9:36 pm

I am more of a fan of learning chord shapes independently of changing to other chords. That seems to me to be the more useful way of doing it. An Em is an Em is an Em no matter what comes before or after.

I don't think that answers your question, but just throwing that in. I use middle and ring for Em for the same reasons you mention. Also because open Em happens on the second fret and my index finger isn't allowed on the second fret, LOL!

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 2
dostal.it
dostal.it
08/13/2020 9:38 pm

That is exactly what I was thiking! The "one finger per fret" rule

# 3
Hank88
Full Access
Hank88
Full Access
08/13/2020 11:40 pm

Maybe in the beggining she was teaching with which fingers she thought were our strongest at the time before using the other ones, to ease into it. I'm not too sure, but practice both and maybe even the Em with your pinky and ring. The more fingerings you get comfortable with might help with different chord progressions down the road.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.