What is the best way to play slide guitar?

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/11/2020 12:51 am

I have been playing for a long time and I'd like to think I'm pretty good, but when I use a slide it sounds awful, I'd just like some advice on how to use one.

# 1
Herman10
Herman10
08/11/2020 7:00 am

Put the slide on your pinky and use the rest of the fingers to mute the strings behind the slide, also a guitar didicated to only slide ( higher action, perhaps open tuning ) would be good and always pay attention that the part of the slide that touches the strings is direct on top of the fret below, not before or after the fret.

Don't push the slide against the strings but let it just rest there and adjust your bridge ( if possible ) so all the strings are equaly high and not bended along the width of the neck.

Anders has some good slide lessons in I believe the styles section.

Herman

# 2
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/11/2020 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

Put the slide on your pinky and use the rest of the fingers to mute the strings behind the slide, also a guitar didicated to only slide ( higher action, perhaps open tuning ) would be good and always pay attention that the part of the slide that touches the strings is direct on top of the fret below, not before or after the fret.

Don't push the slide against the strings but let it just rest there and adjust your bridge ( if possible ) so all the strings are equaly high and not bended along the width of the neck.

Anders has some good slide lessons in I believe the styles section.

Herman

thank you that really helps.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/12/2020 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I have been playing for a long time and I'd like to think I'm pretty good, but when I use a slide it sounds awful, I'd just like some advice on how to use one.

I won't be the one to give advice on this subject. I'm terrible at slide.

Over the last few years, I've become a big fan of Tedeschi Trucks. Derek Trucks being a slide master. When I pick up the slide, I sound terrible and what I've noticed is; I think of slide like how I play without it. I've read that is a bad thing for slide.

Things to consider, often great slide players use alternate tunings. Also, the technique involves a different touch of both floating above the fretboard and connecting with the string. I've found that I wrestle with the absence of tactile connection with the string to the fretboard.

So these are my identified personal issues. Junk I've gotta work through.

I've also watch Derek Trucks very closely (see below) and watched how he slides. Where he stops, how he holds the slide and how he slides from one place to another. Some of it is having authority in the slide. I'm terrible, so I'm weak when I slide. Practice, practice, practice...

...and I've been pretty close up ;)

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/12/2020 9:02 pm

Doesn't get much better than Derek Trucks, does it? Tedeschi Trucks is one of my favorites.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/12/2020 9:35 pm
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Doesn't get much better than Derek Trucks, does it? Tedeschi Trucks is one of my favorites.

he really is the master of slide guitar, makes me feel worse about my slide playing.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/13/2020 11:55 am

For the sake of humor: We did two night TTB 'tour'. Here was my view the following night at a different location. There was a band...I think...

# 7
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/13/2020 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

For the sake of humor: We did two night TTB 'tour'. Here was my view the following night at a different location. There was a band...I think...

Oh wow, that's awful!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.