View post (NEED HELP PICKING A GUITAR?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/06/2020 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: michaelepeters

Thanks everyone, some really good advice here, I will go for an electric guitar as rock is my favourite and the bonus is that you guys are saying it's easier :)

I'm happy to spend around £200 (I'm from England) I wouldn't want to spend more because the sad reality is that I have no idea if I'll stick with it or not, I'm hoping I do.

Does anyone suggest any websites that will have a reliable electric guitar and amp for around my price range?

I'm 6'3 if that makes any difference haha

Really appreciate the quick replies and indeph helpful advice guys :)

In the UK, Andertons is the ticket. If you're south west of London, they've got a great store in Guildford. Huge selection in all price ranges. They've also got a Youtube channel. Tons and tons of videos. Some are fun and some are useful but if you scroll through video and look for the 'shopping on a budget' type of videos, lots of tips on shopping for a good guitar on a budget.

I would say that if you can squeeze it out, you may want to go to £300 (380 to 390 USD), that can jump you up in quality.

It is much harder to get a good playble guitar under £200. They're ok but that's the challenge though; you want a guitar good enough tht you want to keep going on it. A few dollars more opens up a little bit better selection.

Also, with that budget, it's virtually impossible to include an amp. I'm mentioned in my last post that you can get inexpensive guitar/amp combos. In this price range, they are not terribly usable tools.

I have several guitars and a couple of amps but most of the time I practice/play not plugged in. Not because it isn't fun to plug in but that I can grab one off the wall and play what's on my mind.

My point with that is that at the start, you might consider getting a better guitar and skip the amp for now. After a few months of playing and learning, you'll think 'yep, I still want to play. At which point, you'll have a guitar that is going to be good for you to continue to use, learn and practice on. The amp? If you know you want to stick with it, get one a little later.

The issue with trying to get both is the sacrifice in quality at the price point. The idea is to maximize quality where it is most key. When learning guitar, it is already enough of a challenge to not be held back by a guitar that is not a good player.

Just my thoughts.