View post (NEED HELP PICKING A GUITAR?)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/05/2020 11:05 am

Hi Michael

I am definitely a fan of electrics for beginners and a fan of the used market. From my buying experience, except to pay aprx 1/2 or even less off regular retail price. [br][br]

To give an example my morning practice is with a low end Epiphone Les Paul Jr plugged into a Roland micro cube. The guitar cost me $80 and the amp was $80 as well. A new set of strings, a cable and a cheap strap still kept me under $200

These are Canadian prices. US I would expect to be lower. [br][br]

The used market is filled with gear from beginners who found the dedication required to learn guitar a bit much and up it goes for sale. My latest acquisition has been an Ibanez Gio. They retail for 299 where I am but when a dark brown model hit the music swap at $100 I had to try it out. It's a bit different from my other electric guitars because the string spacing is a bit wider. [br][br]

If you are nervous about used equipment, there are many low cost options available from big names like Squire, Epiphone etc. And a good retailer will or should have a good return policy. A very basic amp will get you started and I would suggest doing some YouTube learning on different amps and features at the entry level. [br][br]

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!