View post (Newbies - How long does it take to learn....)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
08/22/2020 3:49 pm

Nice piece Bill. Congrats to you for taking on a Peter Green Lick after only a year of playing. It really does speak to your dedication to learning. Keeping with the Fleetwood Mac theme here as it's apparent where all in the same age range. I have been tackling "Landslide" recently. I can pretty much muddy through most of it, except for that bridge solo Lindsey Buckingham does or any of his fancy embellishments, but I got it down enough where if I played it people would recognize it.

Like you, I also tend to dive in to my hobbies full throttle when starting them, however I agree with Dave. Practice regimes are different for everybody. It's not so much about having a set schedule but having the practice be productive. A lot of it has to do with fatigue. Some days I'm beat dead tired from driving a truck 10 hrs. a day I'll go to pick up the instrument, but my energy level is so low my fingers, mind and emotional levels just aren't there and it shows in my playing and 10 minutes into it I'm putting it away. Sadly some days I don't even play. I'm not using that as an excuse, it just is what it is. However when the weekend comes and I've had some good rest man I feel alive and it too shows in my playing. I figure as long as I keep having those types of sessions I can accept the downtimes.

Moe

P.S. There is a FM tribute band called "Rumours of Fleetwood Mac" on Youtube. They are so fantastic you would swear they sound like the real band. Some of the members even look a little like them. Even Mick Fleetwood gave them a ringing endorsement and stated that on some of their songs sound even better than FM does. Most of the music is from the era that we are most familiar with in the 70's, but their recent tour which is starting in Newcastle this month will include an actual set tribute to the Peter Green era. I can't wait to see more videos on YT once this is done. Check them out when you get a chance. It's a great show.