View post (.008 strings - the lost secret of Classic Rock?)

View thread

PhillipBD
Full Access
PhillipBD
Full Access
07/31/2020 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2

I hesitate to recommend a YT source because we know what most of those are worth. But Rick Beato (and Rhett Shull)...

[/quote][br]...glad you did - the Beato video was one of the discussions that inspired me to buy the .008s, and afterwards how good they sounded on both my DSL5CR and GTX100 got me wondering what others think. You mentioned Shull also - he has a follow-up video on the same topic: Shull follow-up video to Beato

[br][quote=fuzzb0x][br]...I remember his guitar still sounded just as heavy as my one did but he said he just found the bends a lot easier with the lighter gauge.

That's what surprised me, not so much the easier bending (expected), but the great tone with different but pleasant subtle snap & jangle that almost like a DeLorean ;) took me back to the Golden Age sound of old LPs.

[br][quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

Supposedly the unwound G string was a big step forward...

[br][edited] Interesting point Christopher, which has me wonder if the gradual migration away from .008s to .010s and above, resulting in a heavier non-wound G string, contributed to a loss of a special "something".

[br][quote=ChristopherSchlegel][br]I think one reason for the relative popularity of .010s is SRV's influence on electric guitarists.

[br]I've heard the same, that "all roads lead to SRV" on the changeover influence to heavys (.010 and above esp.)