View post (String gauge vs distance/travel to a correct pitch)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/28/2020 5:34 pm

String guage shouldn't matter since the string is tuned to a note (eg - 'E' using the Stuttgart A440 pitch). All strings start on the same pitch as the baseline. As your fret up the notes, all your doing is shortening the string distance and therefor the note's wavelength and therby changing the pitch. The only issue between string guages is the amount of resistence the string will give you when bending. The amount of travel in a bend is nominally the same but if you went from a 10 guage set to an 8 guage set, you may be apt to over-bend and go sharp.

With that, string bending is a different animal. Versus tuning, wherein you are starting with a baseline string tension and in fretting an unbent note to change the pitch, you're shortening the string length to shorten the wavelength in order to make the note a higher pitch. With a bend, you are not shortening the string length but at actually tightening the string tension. It's the same as if you were just tightening the tuning peg.

With that in mind, given that the guitar's scale does differ and the amount of travel on a neck changes due to the scale, the amount of a bend does change due to scale. It does not change due to string guage.

However, the actual differences is so nominal that it is not really noticable to the ear. I have both Gibsons and Fenders and I don't alter my technique between them.

More important than knowing physically how far to bend a note; no when to hear a note that's in key. That's the most important skill. You could bend to a 'C' in one key and be in tune and in another, be out of tune. Same bent note, different key's. Know when to hear that it's right.