View post (Notation for Sittin on the Dock of the Bay)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/18/2020 2:15 pm
Originally Posted by: anthm

I see that Beat 1 is a 1/4 Note (down strum ony) then Beats 3 and 4 are 1/8th Notes representing (down up strums)[/quote]

First, the rhythmic subdivisions do not indicate direction of strums. They can make certain strumming patterns necessary. For example, you'll have to strum those quick 1/16th notes in an alternating pattern (down-up-down or up-down-up) in order to get them to happen. Because there's no way to strum those all in one direction effectively in the amount of time required (up-up-up or down-down-down).

Originally Posted by: anthmBut beat 2 is divided into 3 parts. From what I ha

ve learnt so far I am not sure how this is possible?

[p]Herman already explained the rhythmic subdivisions. Thanks, Herman! For more on that topic study this lesson on rhythmic subdivision.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=10274&s_id=271

[quote=anthm]But how can one do a 1/16 the note strum pattern on beat 2? so yes the 1/8 can be a down strum but how do you strum 2 x 16ths???

But doing alternate strumming on the 16th note patterns: a quick down-up-down. If you slow the video down at the beginning performance example section you will notice 2 things.

1. Down-up-down pattern on the 1/16th notes. I've drawn arrows on the notation here.

2. Switching to minimal motion on those strums. I've drawn a box around the strums during which Lee keeps his strumming motion very minimal to make sure he can get all those strums in on time. Minimizing motion to achieve economy of motion is an important skill to learn. Keep in mind that the 1/8th note after the 1/16th notes has to factor into that pattern because the second 1/16th note is so short.

Once he gets that alternate pattern in motion he keeps it for the rest of the measure on the 1/8th notes. You can do that to the beginning of the measure too if you want!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory