How to mix two separate Frequencies in same space

bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
06/25/2020 3:23 am

How to mix and bring clarity too two separate Frequencies that are occupying same space

Ok I have two separate tracks

Low bass line and a low piano playing octaves

Now I First try volume balancing

and I can hear a-bit of distance between the two Frequencies

But need a lot more clarity

[br]Now these two low frequencies are muddying up and masking each other up in the mix

[br]On the form or YouTube what should should I search for ?

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2020 11:36 am
Originally Posted by: bcraig4J

How to mix and bring clarity too two separate Frequencies that are occupying same space

[p]2 methods commonly used:

1. EQing

You can use graphic or parametric EQing to slightly boost &, or cut select frequencies on those tracks. For example, boost 100Hz on one track, then cut 100Hz on the other. Experiment with a few frequencies.

2. Panning

Pan one track left & the other right. Use as much panning as necessary to get the clarity you desire.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Igittar
Igittar
06/25/2020 1:58 pm

My 2 cent. If the piano is clashing with the bass in the lo end cut it more below 120Hz. Try widening the piano in the stereo panorama and the bass below say ~200 should be mono.

Or make a sidechain from the piano to the bass to duck it a bit on some notes. Double the track and the low notes duck. Not full though.

Marco.

I need more time!

https://www.kompoz.com/music/artist/Potzblitz

https://m2k1.de

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/25/2020 7:27 pm

Adding to the convo; learn about low pass and high pass filters too. Here's and article: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/6-ways-to-use-a-low-pass-filter-when-mixing.html

The work exactly as described, you create frequency 'notches' to wade out those competing frequencies. A low pass filter strips out all the high frequencies and leaves all the low frequencies so that you're only dealing with one end of the spectrum. From there you can notch out competing frequencies. This does mean that you have to make choices on which frequencies you leave or notch out between instrument. You have to prioritize and experient to see what works for your ears.

# 4
jusroc777
jusroc777
08/20/2020 12:05 am

There are a number of approaches to your problem.

Some times one solution is to take out one of the tracks all together or replace it with a piano part played on a piano with a different timbre or perhaps played in a different octave

or on a completely different instrument?

This approach would mean that you would not need to apply sound engineering to solve the problem as the problem wouldn't be there.

In terms of sound engineering, it is a common approach to try and fit each instrument into their own sonic space.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.