View post (Frustration after 8 weeks practicing Em, C, D, G)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/06/2020 5:25 pm

I have something that you can start working on learning. It may be too soon, but it might give you something else to work on into the future. It is a skill that will serve you for the rest of you guitar playing years. A useful skill to develop, is not letting a flub up mess up the rest of you line/ performance. Every musician flubs notes. The better you get, the less they happen... but they happen. Great guitarists are adept at not letting those flubs detract from the rest of their performance. The best of them can cover so well that, for the most part, the audience never notices the descrepancies. So start learning how to soilder on after a flub. You will get better at this over time, just like all the other guitar skills you are developing.

I once saw Andres Segovia play a show in a small venue. During one song I kept hearing an occasional note that would sound flat. But even hearing that note from time to time did not stop the power of his performance. He just kept charging into the song like the master he was. In fact, I ended up doubting my own ears, because of his otherwise overpowering performance. Then as he finished the song to appauase, he reached up and tuned one of his strings with a quick 1/4 turn. He was so good that he must have been bending all the notes on that fell on that detuned string, so that they sounded in tune. Only when there was a note, played on that open string, did the detuning sound out.

This was a real lesson for me, in how masters do not let a flub (even an repeating one) get in the way. It was mind boggeling to watch. We all are working to eleminate errors... We all error... We need to learn how to not let us stop a song, when we flub a note, or a chord, or a rhythum. Not an easy skill to master, but an important one to get under your belt. You can start this learning process with the songs you are working on now. When you flub a note keep going and try to carry the song despite the prior mistake.

Captcha is a total pain in the........