Strumming and bass note

usa4cc
usa4cc
06/14/2020 8:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a little confused about which strings to strum with a downstroke. Do I include the bass note or only the strings below the bass note?

I believe that a downstroke without any bass note in the strumming pattern would include the bass note, but that the bass note would NOT be included when doing a downstroke where one of the beats is simply playing the bass note. Is that correct?

For example, in B-DU-U-DU, would only the first one include the bass note?

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/15/2020 2:42 am

Hey usa4cc,

Let's use your example of B(ass)-D(own)Up-Up-DownUp, and make it an E major chord.

The Bass would be the Low E string by itself, as a downstroke.

All the rest of the strums would typically be strumming on the strings D-G-B-E with those upstrokes and downstrokes. You could also include the A string (which would be a B note, second fret), but in my own experience it's often left out (for a few reasons). It helps create some space / contrast between the low and high notes, and it's also good to save the A string (in this case) for an alternating bass (which would be a later step).

Does that help?

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2020 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: usa4cc

I'm a little confused about which strings to strum with a downstroke. Do I include the bass note or only the strings below the bass note?

[p]Either way works. Also, for future reference, you are referring to the strings above the bass note. This is counter-intuitive, because they are closer to the floor! So they look below. But because they are actually higher in pitch, we refer to them as the higher strings.

When you are first starting out anyway you can get the notes to happen in time is fine!

But, once you start refining your strumming I think the best option for beginners is to isolate the bass note, then strum all the other strings above the bass note.

This gives you great practice at isolating a single string, while also targeting specific groups of strings. And it produces a great clear sound. After all that's kind of the point behind rhythmically separating the bass note is to hear it distinct from the other notes of the chord. And it helps give more dimension & dynamics to your playing.

Ultimately, though I also think it's a great idea to practice all variations. Why not have as many options in your musical tool kit as possible? But as a beginner just focus on one approach, then add another when you are able.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
usa4cc
usa4cc
06/15/2020 6:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey usa4cc,

Let's use your example of B(ass)-D(own)Up-Up-DownUp, and make it an E major chord.

The Bass would be the Low E string by itself, as a downstroke.

All the rest of the strums would typically be strumming on the strings D-G-B-E with those upstrokes and downstrokes. You could also include the A string (which would be a B note, second fret), but in my own experience it's often left out (for a few reasons). It helps create some space / contrast between the low and high notes, and it's also good to save the A string (in this case) for an alternating bass (which would be a later step).

Does that help?

-Carl.

Yes! If I were playing D though, I would do all three strings above it, right? Since there are only four strings being used for the chord.

# 4
usa4cc
usa4cc
06/15/2020 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

[p]Either way works. Also, for future reference, you are referring to the strings above the bass note. This is counter-intuitive, because they are closer to the floor! So they look below. But because they are actually higher in pitch, we refer to them as the higher strings.

When you are first starting out anyway you can get the notes to happen in time is fine!

But, once you start refining your strumming I think the best option for beginners is to isolate the bass note, then strum all the other strings above the bass note.

This gives you great practice at isolating a single string, while also targeting specific groups of strings. And it produces a great clear sound. After all that's kind of the point behind rhythmically separating the bass note is to hear it distinct from the other notes of the chord. And it helps give more dimension & dynamics to your playing.

Ultimately, though I also think it's a great idea to practice all variations. Why not have as many options in your musical tool kit as possible? But as a beginner just focus on one approach, then add another when you are able.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!!!

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2020 11:48 am

Thanks!!!

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.