View post (Alternate Fingerings/Voicings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/13/2020 2:45 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

I'm going over a video on dom7 chords. I've got well over a dozen, some of which are shown here. I'm wondering how to think about all these.[/quote][p]Learn, practice & use them as you need them. As Carl noted he only uses certain dom7 chords & avoids others because as a mostly rock guitarist he has no need for the others.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeDo most experienced players use all these in different situations, or is it more common to gravitate to a smaller handful of fingerings and voicings that feel comfortable or sound nicer to your ear?

Yes all those & more are used in various situations by experienced players. But it all depends on the musical context.

If I'm playing blues by myself I might typically use some of the larger shapes including bass notes on the lower strings. But if I'm playing in band with a bass player & another guitarist then I might just play voicings of those chords only using the top 3 strings.

If I'm playing jazz, then I might use a bunch of inversions of those chords!

If I'm play funk or R&B then I'm definitely only using 3 string voicings on mostly the middle sets of strings.

[quote=dlwalke] I know one would want to be able to cover a few different positions on the fretboard, and maybe as I start to become more of an intermediate player it will be important to have some different inversions. But some seem kind of redundant (like the 4th and 5th ones on the first page).

The question is: what do you want to use them for? Time is finite & it's important to prioritize your learning & practice. Consider the style of music you want to play, which of those chord shapes is used in the songs you want to play.

If you can get by with 2 or 3 of those shapes, then that's great! Make sure you can play those really well, use them regularly. When you find a need to add another one of them to you vocabulary, then add it in the mix.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory