tempo

Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
06/10/2020 12:40 pm

I jam with a few other folks. If one of us is leading a cover song, sometimes that person may have the tempo faster (or occasionally slower) than the original. Another in the group may say "whoa that's too fast!" My question is...can't a person - within reason - change the tempo of a song without getting grief from others. In other words is there a "correct' tempo?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2020 1:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Mglambo

I jam with a few other folks. If one of us is leading a cover song, sometimes that person may have the tempo faster (or occasionally slower) than the original. Another in the group may say "whoa that's too fast!" My question is...can't a person - within reason - change the tempo of a song without getting grief from others. In other words is there a "correct' tempo?

Ideally, yes, of course. But there are a lot of factors at work here.

How are you changing the tempo? By playing slower than the others without explaning what you are doing? By waiting until after the song started?

How did you mention or bring up the topic? In a friendly way? In a "you're doing it wrong" way?

It's best to get everyone to agree on a key & tempo (use your phone metronome!) before the song starts so everyone is on the same page & knows what to expect.

Like any endeavor, it's possible for people to get along & work toward a common goal. But it takes clear, objective communication along with the explicit desire & intention to work together in the first place.

When you are talking about a bunch of musicians or creative people then you are often already talking about trying to herd cats. :)[br][br]Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.