View post (New to Music - a stranger in a strange land)

View thread

TwoHoot
TwoHoot
06/09/2020 8:13 pm

This is a new trip into a whole 'nother world for me. I enjoy listening to music, especially when the lyrics are thought provoking. The songs written by Kris Kreistofferson in the '60s and '70s speak to me. I have no musical experience, knowledge or talent.

My wife of 53 years died about a year and a half ago. Now I am in a new world and completely lost with no idea what to do with myself. As you might guess from 53 years of marriage, I am getting old (77) and can't physically do the things I once enjoyed. Being alone is a bigger deal than I ever emagined, but the flip side of "alone" is "free". I try to look at the opportunities instead of the loss.

In cleaning up "stuff", I came across an old guitar that I bought from a passing acquaintence for $10 back in 1989 or 1990. He needed money that I wouldn't lend or give (sure fire resentments) so I bought his old guitar. It is an Acusitc Orlando Model 335 made in Japan. It has been rattling around in all the "stuff" we moved from house to house (read job assignment to job assignment) for 30 years. My kids (now middle age) wanted to junk it but, on a whim, I decided to learn to play it.

One of my many nephews thinks he is a musician and said he would fix and tune it for me. He is in the middle of raising kids and earning a living so he never found time to do anything. I went and got it back. It had a broken nut and was missing the first string. YouTube guided me through putting on a new nut, restringing and tuning it. Then I forked over some long green for lessons here. Lets see what happens next.

Try to stay sane. It's Important!

My other solitary mind exercise - Sense & Nonsense