View post (A Place To Practice)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/08/2020 4:27 pm

It doesn't just apply to newbies.

I have always had the same desire to 'keep my practice to myself.' It'd be nice if that was due to being considerate but it also has a lot to do with me not wanting My Lady or anyone else hearing just how bad my playing can be. My practice is always better when free of unintended ears and I can concentrate on my playing without concern for others or how I sound to them.

My Lady has a well defined schedule and I arrange my practice sessions around those consistent times when she's out of the house, e.g., early morning tending to horses, walking the dog, etc.. Late this spring I modified my schedule further so that I can get an half-hour or more of practice before she gets up in the morning. My practice room is on a different level from the bedroom and, with closed doors (and her ability to sleep ) the sound doesn't reach her.

I'm a great believer in a set practice schedule... the same minimum length of practice at the same time each practice day. IMO, that's very important whether or not one is sensitive to others' presence.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins