Learning without a guitar

iiiiiii-0
iiiiiii-0
06/06/2020 5:00 am

Hey y'all at the moment I'm travelling and have a classical guitar (Yamaha C70). I have started learning the visualising scales along the fretboard series with Christopher and getting a bit frustrated because some of the higher patterns I am just not able to reach.

Are there any youtube/ GT videos / topics I should look at whilst I am waiting to go home and use my proper kit (electric guitar).

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2020 2:42 pm
Originally Posted by: iiiiiii-0

Hey y'all at the moment I'm travelling and have a classical guitar (Yamaha C70). I have started learning the visualising scales along the fretboard series with Christopher and getting a bit frustrated because some of the higher patterns I am just not able to reach.

[p]Hey, glad you are working on those scale patterns!

Until you can get home to your electric guitar just play the same patterns in the lower frets. Or if it's patterns of repeating octaves, then start on E or F so you can finish at the high E string on the 12th or 13th fret. Both of those are usually reachable on a classical.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
iiiiiii-0
iiiiiii-0
06/09/2020 4:04 am

Thanks, it seems you are the only person replying to these questions! I sold my guitar so no longer have an instruments for about 3 weeks (so I've started a jazz improv online course with Berklee).

If you have music theory video reccomendations on GT or articles to look at in the meantime, that would be awesome.

[br]Thanks!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2020 12:30 pm
Originally Posted by: iiiiiii-0I sold my guitar so no longer have an instruments for about 3 weeks (so I've started a jazz improv online course with Berklee).[/quote]

Jazz improv will be difficult without a guitar! You might want to wait until you have a guitar in your hands to get too far into that course. :)[br][br]

[quote=iiiiiii-0]If you have music theory video reccomendations on GT or articles to look at in the meantime, that would be awesome.

Sure, you might want to watch these lessons on ear training.

Ear Training Intervals

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2401

Ear Training Chords

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2414

Or check out these online exercises on ear training. The interval, scale & chord identification exercises are especially good ones to use!

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.