acoustic style tutorial

deltaclassic9
deltaclassic9
06/05/2020 12:36 am

Hi[br]Can I take an acoustic style tutorial with nylon acoustic guitar or is it just for acoustic steel guitars?

Because when I saw part of this tutorial, all the instructors were using steel acoustic guitars. That's why I thought it was the only classic style tutorial for nylon guitars.

Thank you for your reply

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
06/05/2020 12:59 am

Hey deltaclassic9 --

You can do most of the things a steel-string can do, and for basic learning purposes, basic chords and strumming, it is OK! The strings on a nylon classical guitar usually have a lot more space between them, and the tone is different, but the basics are all the same! When you eventually try to switch over to a steel string, your fingers will probably hurt a lot because steel strings are tougher to play on (all other things being equal).

I actually strung my normal acoustic with nylon strings for years and LOVED the feel, but it's not the normal thing to do.

But yes, you should be fine for now in working through the acoustic tutorials on the site. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
deltaclassic9
deltaclassic9
06/05/2020 3:33 pm

Thank you for your complete answer[br]Do you mean that acoustic style tutorial 1 and 2 is not just for steel guitars?Yes?

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/05/2020 6:28 pm

I believe what Carl is saying is that while the courses are taught with steel guitars you can certainly use a nylon string guitar. Everything is the same except tone will be different cause of the strings, but nylon strings have their own unique sound and easier on the fingertips.

Good Luck,

Moe

# 4
Carl King
Carl King
06/05/2020 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: deltaclassic9

Thank you for your complete answer[br]Do you mean that acoustic style tutorial 1 and 2 is not just for steel guitars?Yes?

You should be able to get away with it, but at some point it would be a good idea to also have a steel string guitar handy. I do think most of those Acoustic 1 + 2 courses should work for you. I'm not totally sure if the chapters with Capo will work with a nylon string, but I've never tried putting a capo on a nylon string guitar.

The only differences between Nylon and Steel string guitars are the sound (nylon strings have a more gentle sound) and the string spacing (they're just farther apart on a nylon). But everything you learn playing-wise (chords, strumming, fingerpicking, etc) for acoustic can be done on either one.

Nylons are used mostly in classical and world music, and steel string is going to be the more common blues and folk and country and rock guitar.

-Carl.

# 5
Carl King
Carl King
06/05/2020 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: deltaclassic9

By the way, deltaclassic9, Anders actually goes through all the types of acoustic guitars in this tutorial, in Acoustic Level 2 -- including Nylon. He talks about the differences between them.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=29856

-Carl.

# 6
deltaclassic9
deltaclassic9
06/06/2020 4:46 am

Thank you very much, you helped a lot.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.