View post (picking issues)

View thread

bjorn2182
bjorn2182
03/25/2021 2:27 pm

Here is a little secret method that works quite well. Pick up your guitar and plectrum and then take a deep breath and relax. Now listen to the portion you are trying to play. Feel it. When you fall into its groove, start picking the pattern only. Do not use your left hand just your right. Imagine what you are playing sounds like the piece ok cause it won't. Just practice that until your right hand can keep up with the pattern. Then when you know you can pick it add in your left hand. You're going to have to start over to synchronize the two hands, but working on the right hand first sets your rhythmic base. Once you learn the rhythm you can go back to fill it in with the melody. [br][br]

38 year player who is very left handed and plays right handed. You and I are messed up. We learned backwards from how we internalize things. The drummer I'm currently working with is the same way. We have to figure out what we are doing sort of backwards from how others learn stuff. Then we have to flip it around in our head because we're using the opposite hands from how our brain works. [br][br]

This all means that the beginnings are a little bit harder is all. Our hands will be willful sometimes. Don't think nothing about smacking yourself across the top of your hand with a ruler every once in a while. Not to hurt, but to get your brains attention. We left hangers are mostly geniuses you know. So we get bored kind of fast. Especially something needing dedication like guitar. [br][br]

one thing we also used to do when we were younger is to try to play along with cartoon music on Saturday mornings. But I don't think they have Saturday morning cartoons on tv do they. There is youtube. Watch some Warner brothers cartoons and try to strum along on single strings jumping from higher to lower strings to do the tonal changes. Don't worry about your left hand when you're doing this. You just have to spend some extra time bringing your picking hand up to speed. Once you make it do extra work, it'll take maybe a month tops til the right and left hand are working together. [br][br]

You can't work them the same and expect to have them work together. You're left handed so you process things on the right side of your brain which naturally controls your left hand easier. So the right handed stuff gets tossed over to the left half of your brain first then travels to your hand. So it's a little behind. Giving it extra work will train you to make it actually stronger and can be put on auto pilot eventually. [br][br]

being left handed and playing right handed is is like learning guitar but forcing ourselves to be dyslexic while we are learning. Forcing yourself to develop a natural rhythm understanding through your right hand helps fix that a little. Don't get discouraged. It's your brain telling you that to play it left handed would be too easy so it made the challenge especially difficult. If I can still be playing after 38 years this way. With 4 albums I've been on and a few tours as well. You can do it as well. Just work in your right hand more than you do the left with just basic stuff like trying to pick up rhythms with that hand. It'll help you when you bring the two together.