View post (How do I practice scales?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/31/2020 3:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambersI've been through most of the inversions lessons. On the lesson 2 introduction I totally got it until the end when you ripped down the fretboard on the higher strings.[/quote]

When you say "lesson 2 introduction" I'm guessing you mean the tutorial that is merely an introduction to the concept.

I really dig deep & go slowly through all possible triads & inversions in the later tutorials. If you click on the tutorial collection link you will see a series of 8 tutorials titled "Practicing Major ..." Practicing Minor ..."

Those go slowly & systematically through all of them! And you will get a lot of backing track play along practice included.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambersLesson started at a root on 5th fret so if I move along 2 frets will same pattern apply down to 3rd string? (B chord obviously).

Yes, all patterns move chromatically & systematically up & down the fretboard. That's why learning the root notes of the barre chords on the E & A strings is essential. Good question!

[quote=jarnac.chambers]I think what missing for me was you really explained moving the inversions across the strings really well (octaves) but then raced it down the fretboard as a quick ending to the lesson.

That because it's just an introduction to the idea. Some of those lessons were designed just to show beginners what is possible, why there are so many frets on the guitar beyond the open basic chords!

Check out those in depth tutorials. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory