View post (fretboard, strumming hand or the tablature? ;))

View thread

p_p_s
p_p_s
05/18/2020 7:42 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post Christopher! I'm kind of starstruck, as I wasn't expecting an answer from an actual Instructor!

I'm in no rush, and don't expect it to be easy, or just coming on it's own without me putting in the work. I just wasn't sure I'm focusing on the right things.

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

In general, you need to focus on one thing at a time. Go very slowly & work on memorizing the fretboard location of the notes.

So, aside from working on my muscle memory, and making sure I can pick particular notes cleanly and clearly, when reading the notes, my goal should be to know by heart the correct placement of fingers on the fretboard (and string to pick) just by looking on the notes, and not necessarily the tablature?

Because, the way I was practising it now, was basically disregarding the notes on the staff completely (not sure if that's the correct word, sorry!), only looking at the "tab" below... now, deciphering tab takes a bit of my mental power, as each time I have to be super aware to think "ok, this is 3rd string, 2nd fret, 3 times, then change to open on 1st string 1 time, and then... etc. etc.". So it wasn't so much about correct finger placement, and muscle memory, as it was about deciphering correct finger placement to play it on time...

I can see the improvement even practising it this way, but adding one extra string to the mix, made it almost exponentially harder ;)

I am still enjoying it a lot, but for the moment I've got a feeling it's much more mental / focus exercise to me, rather than a mechanical one ;)

Thank you!