View post (Major scales lesson with Christopher)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/11/2020 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: iiiiiii-0Hey I wrote a post regarding the CAGE system then decided to try Christophers major scale lesson.[/quote]

In that tutorial I'm teaching the C major scale formula. And I'm also demonstrating how the guitar works. And part of the structure of the guitar is that you can play the same note in more than one place. That's an important part of understanding how the guitar works.

The result is that you can play the major scale in a variety of shapes.

Notice that I start by showing you the major scale all stretched out on one string. This helps to visualize the intervals. And that's important because the interval formula is the most important aspect the scale (of any scale). That's why it sounds the way it does, because of the distances between the notes.

Then I show you how that formula can be applied in a variety of ways on the guitar.

Originally Posted by: iiiiiii-0The first pattern he mentions, with the index on the root note - I can't find this pattern anywhere?[/quote]

You can find it in my lesson. :) But more seriously, where are you looking & not finding?

[quote=iiiiiii-0]Is there an established pattern system because I've learnt the pattern (which Christopher mentions as the second pattern) as the first.

I systematically establish 4 patterns in that tutorial.

1. C major scale on one string.

2. C major scale with root note in the lowest position.

3. C major scale with root note in the middle position.

4. C major scale with root note in the highest position.

I've seen different instructors (on GT, on the internet, in person) label them with different numbers, or in different ways. So there is no industry standard on how that's done. That's why I teach it in a very systematic way to help you understand the scale no matter how someone plays it or shows it.

Do you understand that all those shapes I'm showing in the tutorial result in the same sound? The sound of the C major scale?

[quote=iiiiiii-0]It's confusing that there's lots of conflicting info about this!

Where are you looking & getting conflicting information?

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory