Picado and Alternate Picking

iiiiiii-0
iiiiiii-0
05/08/2020 7:14 am

Hello I keep 'losing track' when I practice picado and alternate picking. Even if I go very slowly it's like my brain can't remember / figure out the last note I played.

I have a similar problem if I try to count beats. Usually I can just feel the timing however I know to be a better musician I need to work on technique and be consious of the rhythm rather than just 'feeling it'.

Does anyone have tips? I can alternate pick however sometimes I just lose track and probably don't always alternate pick - without realising it.

Anyone else experience this? Hope it makes sense what I'm saying!

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/12/2020 7:38 pm
Originally Posted by: iiiiiii-0

Hello I keep 'losing track' when I practice picado and alternate picking. Even if I go very slowly it's like my brain can't remember / figure out the last note I played.

I have a similar problem if I try to count beats. Usually I can just feel the timing however I know to be a better musician I need to work on technique and be consious of the rhythm rather than just 'feeling it'.

Does anyone have tips? I can alternate pick however sometimes I just lose track and probably don't always alternate pick - without realising it.

Anyone else experience this? Hope it makes sense what I'm saying!

Hi!

It sounds to me like this could be an issue of focus and distraction. It's very easy to have other thoughts wander through your head when practicing and forget what you are doing in the moment. Sometimes for me, it's just anxiety or I have other things on my mind. When I am playing I am imagining all sorts of conversations I've had, memories coming and going. Sometimes it's just abstract stream-of-consciousness nonsense. It's a real problem when you're playing live and can't remember where you are in the song (which has happened to me more times than not!)

Everyone can blank out from time to time. It's just like with meditation -- when your mind wanders, just reset and start again. Eventually it gets easier to control your focus.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.