Rock Song

Richard368
Richard368
05/02/2020 8:37 am

Mike, just over 50 and picking up the guitar for the first time effectively (played as kid a little Spanish, but never to any great standard) - working through Lisa's fundamentals and going well, into Chords. Big ACDC / Metallica fan, best aspirational song I could realistically shoot for, love the into of Nothing Else Matters, but probably a little too much post that...should I be looking at Eagles...any great ideas gratefully received. Thanks

Richard368

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/02/2020 12:19 pm

Hey there! Welcome to GT and thanks for your question!!

[br]Best thing to do now is exactly what you are doing -- keep with Fundamentals but also work on your chords and strumming by choosing a song to learn from the Made Easy Song Library:

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/beginner

Work through actual songs as you make your way through the Fundamentals course - this will get you applying what you have learned and also building a repertoire! It won't be long before you've improved your basic mechanical skills on the guitar, enough to tackle the intro to Nothing Else Matters - but at the very least, be able to strum along with that one.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Richard368

Mike, just over 50 and picking up the guitar for the first time effectively (played as kid a little Spanish, but never to any great standard) - working through Lisa's fundamentals and going well, into Chords. Big ACDC / Metallica fan, best aspirational song I could realistically shoot for, love the into of Nothing Else Matters, but probably a little too much post that...should I be looking at Eagles...any great ideas gratefully received. Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Richard368
Richard368
05/14/2020 9:11 pm

Thanks for this Mike, found the piece on Hotel California - that Bm F7 could take me a while but I can hear the tune - something to shoot for. Proud Mary way to fast for me currently :). Working through Fundamentals but very tempted for a single down stroke, this pluck and stroke is tricky, getting smooth left hand changes is a good focus but right hand at the same time I often get the wrong string.

I guess pushing on with one string and then the rest is the way to go.

Thanks for the guidance.

Best

Richard

Richard368

# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/15/2020 7:39 am

Thanks for this Mike, found the piece on Hotel California - that Bm F7 could take me a while but I can hear the tune - something to shoot for. Proud Mary way to fast for me currently :). Working through Fundamentals but very tempted for a single down stroke, this pluck and stroke is tricky, getting smooth left hand changes is a good focus but right hand at the same time I often get the wrong string.

Thanks for the guidance.

Best

Richard

If proud Mary is a bit too fast for you but you can get the chord's ok you can slow down the song lessons using the tool built into the video screen. That may be helpful to you.

# 4
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2020 1:12 pm

Thanks Fuzzbox - indeed the speed buttons on the video frame are super handy and so valuable for practicing and working your way up to tempo!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

Thanks for the guidance.

Best

Richard

If proud Mary is a bit too fast for you but you can get the chord's ok you can slow down the song lessons using the tool built into the video screen. That may be helpful to you.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 5
Richard368
Richard368
05/16/2020 9:31 pm

Thanks Mike, Fuzzbox, much appreciated. best. Richard

Richard368

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.