Achievement system / Badge System

tenebris.emil.lux
tenebris.emil.lux
05/01/2020 6:37 pm

I don't know if any moderator is reading this but what do the rest of you think? Personally achievements and badge systems really motivates me and gives me a more 'vivid' appreciation of the fact that i improve. I think a system with many badges and achivements can help a lot to many who struggle.

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/01/2020 8:19 pm

if you click on the "my progress" tab they have a kinda badge system for what you have completed

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
05/01/2020 9:49 pm
Originally Posted by: tenebris.emil.luxwhat do the rest of you think?

Depends, ....upon whether you're here to play puebescent games or learn guitar?

Plenty of what you want already on STEAM and Xbox guitar games, or ad spamming sign ups on You Tube when viewed in a browser on an Android device without Adblock.

There's enough hand holding fluff here already in Fundamentals One and Two. The site really doesn't need to be infantilized with more McNonsense.

# 3
kentailleur
kentailleur
05/01/2020 10:05 pm

Getting a badge won't motivate me personally, but it's all what motivates each person

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
05/01/2020 11:59 pm

I think some people might like to document their progress by having a set of defined milestones, and I don't find that to be a pubescent game. One of the most common questions I see here is "when should I go to the next lesson?" I think it is that uncertainty that may be motivating the question here. It is only natural when you are starting to want some objective measure to tell you that you have learned a skill well enough to move on.

I would call it milestones instead of achievements or badges. Having said all of that, I still don't think want such a system here. I think it might actually lead to "learning to the test" rather than settling your own goals. [br][br][br]

To the OP, you get to decide what milestones are important for yourself. At any point in time, have one or two very short term goals, one or two intermediate goals, and a couple of longer range goals. Let those be your Achievements. If it motivates you, there's nothing wrong with printing up achievement certificates for yourself. Goals can be something like execute 50 chord changes per minute between A and D chord. Play through Ode to Joy 5 times in a row with no mistakes. Learn three strumming patterns and get good enough to change chords while not losing the timing of the pattern. Play a song in front of your family. Anything you want. Some people might make fun of the idea of making a certificate for yourself, but if it works as a reward and that motivates you then go for it. In a year, take a look at your folder of certificates and see how far you have come. [br][br]

Best of luck to you, and stick with it. Remember that this is like learning a new language, it will take time, patience, and tenacity.

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/04/2020 9:26 pm

Hi there,

We hear you on an achievement / badge system. We like this idea as well, and I'm personally a big fan of it! We did add some visual elements on the Progress page so that at the very top you can see your badge progress. There's no real way to show this off, but we think it's pretty cool. We have plans to expand this progress system in the future, but with COVID-19, and shelter-in-place happening for us, there has been a lot more activity, which means we have to focus on the core systems of Guitartricks, some things that aren't obvious. But we hear you on this!

Until then, we really enjoy hearing your ideas about these type of features because we look to you for inspiration when building out our website.

- Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.