Ayup 👍😁

Gambatte
Gambatte
04/29/2020 10:11 pm

Yet another 54 year old, making the most of lockdown. Restrictions would have frustrated me running or cycling, so I packed that stuff away and looked for something else. I tried to learn guitar a couple of times (decades ago) and got nowhere. I figure the past examples meant its something I have proved I am crap at - so it would be a challenge.🤔😁

Bought an Ibanez acoustic and already got further than before. I'm just past the 3 string chords and starting the melody section. The chords were fine, with this melody section it appears my left hand fingers aren't currently wired correctly to my head? Oh well, it'll get sorted 😎

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/29/2020 10:49 pm

Hiya Gambatte, you are among a large group of like minded peers here. I am also 54 and determined to learn to play this here guitar.

Several of us were just wondering in another thread whether the demographics here at GT really do skew towards a slightly higher age or if it is just that us midlife and retirees are more chatty on the forum. No way of knowing about the huge majority of members who never post anything.

Be that as it may, welcome and good luck.

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
Gambatte
Gambatte
05/02/2020 11:23 am

Strange how stuffs easy, then there's something new.. 😳 and it's "how the... am I supposed to do that? My fingers don't work that way!" 👿😕

That was three days ago. Kept visiting the new bit... It seems my fingers do work that way. Now to get them working in time 🙂

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
05/02/2020 4:34 pm
Originally Posted by: Gambatte

Strange how stuffs easy, then there's something new.. 😳 and it's "how the... am I supposed to do that? My fingers don't work that way!" 👿😕

That was three days ago. Kept visiting the new bit... It seems my fingers do work that way. Now to get them working in time 🙂

Hey, way to go, it's really cool when your fingers figure something out like that.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2020 3:09 pm

Yes, welcome ALL! [br]It's not my department to know the site demographics (I'm a teacher - that's it), but I can tell you that in my "private practice" as a teacher that specializes in Adult Beginners, the demographic definitely skews older. [br][br]

I also teach beginning ukulele to adults, which is much easier to learn right off the bat than guitar. It is changing lives left and right, as people "over 40" finally connect with the actual joy of making music. The same with the guitar - though a steeper learning curve - but take it step-by-step and all will fall into place. [br][br]

The thing I love about my work, and this demographic, is that it is likely you are actually persuing something that has been on your wish-list for years. And now the time has come! What joy! What a gfit!

For some, it means the kids have grown up and the house is more quiet. For others, its retirement. For others, it's simply YOUR TURN TO DO SOMETHING JUST FOR YOURSELF at long last. [br][br]

enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Best - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.