Switching fingers 3 & 4 on F barre ok?

Mikey54
Mikey54
04/26/2020 7:24 pm

Beginner just getting to grips with the full F barre chord.

Takes a while but can get a chord to sound out.

First finger covers all 6 strings on fret 1, middle finger on the G string fret 2 both ok.

Problem is when I do the conventional approach: fret 3, ring finger on A, little finger on D, the little finger tends to flattten & sometimes mutes the G string.

What works better for me is switching round ring & little finger, ring finger on D, little on A.

The ring finger then supports the little finger & the G string muting problem goes away

Is this alternative approach ok or will it cause problems further down the line?

Thanks in advance

Mike

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/29/2020 8:41 pm

Hi Mikey54,

This is a good question. I think it's totally fair to switch your 3rd finger (ring finger) and your 4th finger (pinky) on the fretboard in this case.

But if you're doing this solely based on the fact that your ring finger is supporting the little finger, then I definitely recommend you adjust your hand position so that your pinky is able to grab frets easier. Also keep in mind that your pinky will always be a little weaker when holding frets since it can feel awkward using it in this way if you're new to guitar.

But all in all, it should be fine! The thing is to stay consistent, since the F barre shape is moveable and is used for so many other chords.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.