How good am I supposed to be?

blazejp0
blazejp0
04/23/2020 5:49 pm

Hello,

Right now I'm finishing the Guitar Fundamentals 2. I always wondered how good am I supposed to get while playing the songs before I continue with the lessons.

I know all the chords including barre chords. I lack a little bit of practice with barre chords so they don't ring out perfectly all the time but I guess that'll improve once I start learning songs outside the course. I was really excited with Lisa's "Follow the arrows" and "Night Into Day", they are both quite challenging songs for me and were fun to learn. I didn't really struggle that much with chord changes but rather with rhythm, especially in Night Into Day - 8 quick downstrokes with Acoustic for some reason are much harder for me than playing a varied strumming pattern. Sometimes I lose rhythm but I quickly regain it while playing the jam track.

So the question is, how good am I supposed to get with these exercises (like learning full songs such as Follow the arrows or Night into day)? Play them flawlessly like Lisa? Or making mistakes is understandable? Or rather, how good is a beginner expected to be by the teachers here on GuitarTricks before moving onto next lessons? I'll be finishing the Fundamentals soon I plan to start Intermediate Acoustic. How do I know if I'm not moving too fast?

# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.