The Pinky G Chord

Wolfman74
Wolfman74
04/15/2020 12:51 am

Does anybody have some tips on playing the pinky G chord? I can play regular G just fine but getting my pinky to play the high E string is very difficult. Currently I’m on fundamentals 2 learning the Sus4 Chords and it’s required to play pinky G for the extra note.

I might just have to skip this lesson because I have small hands and getting this chord down seems almost impossible.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/15/2020 4:19 pm

Hi there,

Playing that pinky on the G major chord can be tricky. One way I learned how to do this is, to play your simple G major chord with three fingers, but instead of playing the high E string with your 3rd finger, use your 3rd finger to play the note on the B string.

You probably have more control over your 1, 2 and 3rd fingers so use those to set the anchor, and then bring your pinky into the mix on the high E string as a final movement. If you practice this enough, you will eventually get comfortable with your pinky grabbing that last note on the high E string.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ben45720
ben45720
04/16/2020 12:06 am

Going to use this thread to ask another question on the pinky g.

I'm currently working on switching from the pinky G chord to Am andnoticing that I'm able to stretch my pinky to the high E 3rd fret, however when I do my ring finger positioned on the sixth string mutes the 5th string (A). No angle I position my hand (pain or not) with the pinky g leave all six strings clear and resonant.

Is this something that will improve gradually over time? Or is this an impedement due to my hand size.

Thanks!!

# 3
Captain_Crunch
Captain_Crunch
04/16/2020 10:45 am
Originally Posted by: ben45720

Going to use this thread to ask another question on the pinky g.

I'm currently working on switching from the pinky G chord to Am andnoticing that I'm able to stretch my pinky to the high E 3rd fret, however when I do my ring finger positioned on the sixth string mutes the 5th string (A). No angle I position my hand (pain or not) with the pinky g leave all six strings clear and resonant.

Is this something that will improve gradually over time? Or is this an impedement due to my hand size.

Thanks!!

Hello!

Don't worry, small hands are not a deal breaker on that chord.

Give a try to what the GT admin was saying (using your index and middle fingers as leads/anchors and then placing the other two fingers. You can even fake it a bit and only strum the lower part of the chord while you are placing the two last fingers...).

Else, you can try the other way round, play a D chord and add the pinky on the E string (third fret). Besides having a way to colour your D chord like this (use sparingly), you can now keep your ring and pinky in position and go fetch the other strings of the G chord. Maybe this way you will start playing the G chord with all the strings ringing... and you can take it from there.

Cheers!

# 4
Wolfman74
Wolfman74
04/17/2020 4:28 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi there,

Playing that pinky on the G major chord can be tricky. One way I learned how to do this is, to play your simple G major chord with three fingers, but instead of playing the high E string with your 3rd finger, use your 3rd finger to play the note on the B string.

You probably have more control over your 1, 2 and 3rd fingers so use those to set the anchor, and then bring your pinky into the mix on the high E string as a final movement. If you practice this enough, you will eventually get comfortable with your pinky grabbing that last note on the high E string.

Thanks for tip, I'm getting better at it but switching between chords is still difficult.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.