Rockband

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/02/2002 8:37 am
Hi!

I need you guys´ oppinion/help on sumthin.

I am starting a Rock-Coverband (i need money!! *L*) for playing mainly on Bikermeetings and such. What songs would you reccomend? we need a 3-6 hour repertiore. Difficulty is unimportant - we can play it all :D

Shall we play only old rock stuff from the 70s and 80s? or shall we also add new stuff like creed or Red hot chili pepperz? what do you think?

we where thinking about songs like
Dr. Stein (Helloween), Black Night (Purple), Final Countdown (Europe), etc...

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/02/2002 1:54 pm
mix it up, play a little of everything.

here's what i like:
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under or Overture 1828
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Dio - Man on the Silver Mountain
Edguy - Hallowed
Maiden - Trooper or Hallowed Be Thy Name or Flight of Icarus
Scorpions - Sails of Charon
Iced Earth - 1776

throw in whatever you want.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/02/2002 3:11 pm
hmm.. for a simple rock coverband who plays on bikermeetings and other occasions songs of that kind might be a little too unknown and too heavy. i personally wouldnt mind - and i think it depends on where you are playing - some audiernces like it heavier - others dont - so i guess we´ll have to put a large variety of songs in our repertoire so that we can choose from and fit it to the occasion..

nevertheless - overture 1928 is a MUST HAVE - we´ll definitely play it - no matter what the audience says *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/02/2002 7:02 pm
i use to work in a biker bar, they love to listen to:

van morrison
lynard skinnard: freebird
johnny cash: ring of fire
kiss:(i pick party all night long) but detriot rock city is popular
gnr: welcome to the jungle
metallica was always a good change of pace...of course enter sandman is a safe bet
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/02/2002 9:25 pm
bikers as in motorcycles? in america at least, bikers usually like the heavy stuff.

there's also,

Jimi Hendrix - All ALong the Watchtower
if you want to kill time, Led Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Rush - Temples of Syrinx
UFO - Lights Out
Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

i'm just throwing out ideas here
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/02/2002 9:48 pm
over here bikers also used to be more on the heavy side (both physically and mentally) but nowadays there are also alot of "normal" peeps who have bikes and go on bikermeetings.. like doctors, lawyers, etc.. audience has become softer

# 6
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/02/2002 10:27 pm
2 words. Lynard Skynard. Bikers just can't get enough, and neither can I. Throw in some Guns n Roses too. Always a hit. Oh yea, play that old song "spirit in the sky", bikers will dig it.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/02/2002 10:37 pm
yeah - i ve also thought about making rock songs out of some non-rock pieces like "lay all your love on me" (abba" or "When the rain begins to fall" (J Jackson & Pia Zadora)

*L*

# 8
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/02/2002 11:53 pm
can't go wrong with ABBA

# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/03/2002 2:06 am
Steppin' Wolf! - just about any song
Black Sabbath - ditto
Folsom Prison Blues - Johhny Cash

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
gernm18
gernm18
12/03/2002 3:46 am
dude you can play many of metallica they are really easy and of course you should play basic songs like crazy train we play this song in my band and you can play songs of ac/dc,ozzy,iron maiden,guns n roses,kiss,etc you can play anything of this kind i guess
German
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/03/2002 4:05 am
You want a lot of 70's rock, mixed with Bob Seeger type shuffles, and some Billy Idol. His cover of 'Mony, Mony' is a cult favourite. Me and my 3,000 party buds say so.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
u10ajf
u10ajf
12/04/2002 7:39 pm
Originally posted by zepp_rules
bikers as in motorcycles? in america at least, bikers usually like the heavy stuff.

(including)

Rush - Temples of Syrinx

here

Firstly, in case you don't know, temple of syrinx is part of their brilliant track 2112 from their brilliant album 2112. But please! Don't do it! You'll be laughed at/lynched. It's not natural for a bloke to reach that kind of pitch, a friend of mine joked that Geddy Lee must use a capo on his testicles! This said, between the years of 1976 and 1982 Rush were possibly the best Rock band of all time in my humble opinion.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 13
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/04/2002 9:16 pm
yeah, i was aware that it is actually two songs. but i didn't mean for him to recreate Geddy's voice. that would be horrible. but they can still perform it well and i think it could be good and they wouldn't be laughed at.

# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
12/05/2002 6:19 am
Originally posted by u10ajf
...a friend of mine joked that Geddy Lee must use a capo on his testicles!...[/B]

:eek:
That is mean.
And btw,when you guys speak of bikers,is it those dudes I see on TV,bad boys,long beards,bandanas,more often than not huge,with some small patches of skin on their tatooes?
# 15
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
12/06/2002 5:48 pm
We just have started a same thing. A cover rock band in order to earn easy money (it´s pretty popular here in Sweden) and to get stage experience. Here´s a few songs that we play:

KISS-Detroit rock city
Mr. Big-Wild World
Kravitz-Are You Gonna Go...
AC/DC-Highway To Hell
Europe-Rock The Night
Dire Straits-Sultans Of Swing
Eagles-H. California
Scorpions-Rock Me Like A Huricane
GNR-Nightrain
Ozzy-Crazy Train

and so on. Pretty famous songs but it´s not always good to ply only famous stuff. Somthing unfamous by a famuos band can hit it harder than 5 mega famous songs.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.