View post (For those who think tube amps sound better)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/11/2020 7:29 pm

This can be a polorizing conversation which I dont want to wade into. I have both and am glad to have them.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

However, the specifics of what I often here from tube amp advocates seem most relevent to heavier crunchy, overdriven sounds as opposed to clean tones. Am I wrong about that? Do you think the difference is apparent for clean tones as well? If I do end up getting a tube amp, I would need to get one that preserves those qualities at low volumes.

I can offer you something on this. On my Hot Rod Deluxe, I have a JHS Volume box sitting on top that I can plug into the effects loop when I want to have some breakup while keeping the volume reasonable. And I am being specific to break up on the clean channel. This is a $50 item and there are many YT videos showing how it works and how it differs from an attenuator. I am happy with what it gives me.

I don't have any experience with this Marshall but generally speaking I am not a fan of small tube amps only because when I get together with other people I don't always know how they like to play. Some guys are really mellow and others really aggressive. I can step my amp down, but I can't step a 5 watt amp up when guys want to play loud. So if you are thinking about playing with others it is something to consider.

But whatever you do, good luck and let us know what you get. Gear is great fun!

Edit: my YCV40 had a master volume and this worked well but I like the HRD better so I got rid of the other.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!