At what point do you say "I just can't play that?"

NickFerra
NickFerra
04/09/2020 9:13 pm

I'm sitting here trying to play Your song by Elton John using the lesson here on the site. There are chords I just can't do. Especially using the thumb on those Bm type shape chords and fretting the 4th and 3rd frets on the low E while still keeping the shape of the chord.

And then you got that Amajor chord with the 4th fret on the A string.

I can't stretch my hand to do those chords and still make the chord sound good and play all the strings. I just can't do it. My hand just wont do it.

I can play open chords, power chords just fine.

Bar chords? Somewhat ok... but I find myself having to press down on the frets extremely friggin hard to be able to hit every note in the chord and not having a "Dud" note... and talk about the pain!

So at what point do ya say "I just can't play those chords?"

It might be a physical disability because I don't alien fingers and can stretch my fingers to play chords 6 frets apart.

...also, how crappy of a guitarist will I be on stage if I can't play those chords in front of people and skip playing that bass note in the chord, or play half of the chord?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/09/2020 10:51 pm

You might be a bit hard on yourself Nick. I did have a look at what you were talking about and that thumb over the 4th fret is not easy. I would just keep at it, but not to the point where you are making yourself miserable. I often try things, stop for a while, go back to it. Over time, things usually come around.

Have a look at what I am doing, maybe it will give you some ideas. I find on really tough chords like this I need to experiment with different angles and positions for my elbow and even fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esHJNcyi__A&feature=youtu.be

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Herman10
Herman10
04/10/2020 12:00 am

Just keep on trying, sometimes if it just doesn't work then walk away from it for a while and then come back; even if you only get 1 note or one bar further then you will have made a progress and is it worth hanging in there.

As for playing in a band; usually there is a bass player in the band so no need to play the bass note on the 6th and 5th strings, they would only sit in the way in the mix.

Herman

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.