A Different Take on Electric vs Acoustic

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/03/2020 9:59 pm

Am I the only one that actually finds it much more difficult to play an electric than an acoustic? The concensus opinion seems to be that because the strings are lighter and much less finger strength is required that electric is easier for beginners. I'm actually finding it a lot harder, though, because the neck is a little more narrow and the strings are a little closer together. I find it much harder to play clean chords on my electric. I also have a tendency to push the high E string off the bottom and the low E string off the top.

I only played my acoustic for the first 3 or 4 months, but in the last few weeks I've started to pick up the electric a few times a week just to play with something a little different. I got a pretty cool modeling amp (Boss Katana 50 MK II) and thought I would have some fun with it, but honestly it's not fun at all because I just can't hardly play the damned electric! It's a decent beginner guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica 012.

I have not followed the advice I've given to other folks about getting a setup done but seriously, I do not think this is caused by the setup. Am I the only one that is finding the acoustic easier than the electric??

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/03/2020 11:00 pm

Hi Dave,

I think my Pacifica might be the same model, its not with me right now. But... I do agree the neck is narrow. Compared to my Seagull S6 (acoustic) it is night and day.

I do think though that over time the little Yammie will be ok.

Good luck!

PS, this might help you keep believing in the Yamaha And you are right, setup won't do much. It's going to come down to positioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXXCnJK2gg

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/04/2020 2:02 am

Thanks Bill. It does look like the same model. I like that seafoam green, mine is black. I'm sure I will learn to adjust to the spacing with time. I think part of my brain was just expecting it to be a lot easier than the acoustic, and for me it really isn't. I need to work on my posture for sure, and I also need to learn to use a lot less pressure on the strings.

For now I will probably continue to play the acoustic almost all the time and just grab the electric when I want to crank up the amp and make some noise. Of course, I can't really do that right now with the family in lockdown - the wife will put me in a tent in the back yard if I do!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.