Small Hands Problem

Danobe2
Danobe2
03/26/2020 7:50 pm

I am doing the spider legs guitar excercise. However, I find it difficult to reach the top E string in the 1,2, and 3 fret with all of my fingers at the same time. What can I do to solve this? Will I ever need to reach 3 frets with 3 fingers at the same time?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
03/27/2020 12:33 am

I have small hands and fingers. Everyone will find the coordination required challenging initially, and those of us with smaller hands and shorter fingers (overall span), the stretch required over first five frets particularly difficult. I did too, but that exercise is a piece of cake now.

For a 'small hands' comparative datum, what is your glove size?

Initial spider fingers is a stretch and co-ordination exercise. A good one, worthwhile persisting with. It doesn't need to be done quickly, nor is speed its objective. Focus on stretching and accurate tip placement to finger the frets as they should be done and achieving placement progressively keeping fingers on then lifting off the fretboard as instructed. As you get better at that, look for clean notes. Once you have that in hand, try to develop a steady tempo. Then go for contiguious string continuity without hesitation at tempo until you can work your way up and down the 6 strings rinse and repeat until the motor skill is quasi-automatic.

Originally Posted by: danielobes2002What can I do to solve this?[/quote]

Keep trying. Persistence will bring progress and eventually competency. It takes time.

[quote=danielobes2002]Will I ever need to reach 3 frets with 3 fingers at the same time?

Yes.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.