Hi there! Finally did it!

vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
03/19/2020 6:28 am

Hi I'm Gert, living in Norway, 51 years old, and after 30 years of playing 'air guitar', I finally took the plunge and bought a real guitar. A Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat. In the 1980s, many of my friends learned how to play; they learned from books, went to private tutors or music schools, and learned from each other as well. So my first thought was that this was going to be easy, anyone can obviously do it. Just have a look at some YouTube videos and gradually build from there.

But that just didn't work. Much of the stuff shown there is too fragmentary and not suited for absolute beginners at all. Guitar Tricks starts from ground zero, it is very very thorough and builds on itself. Absolutely worth it!

Having said that, once I reached the chapter about the 5-chord power pack I find you can branch out again towards other online resources like YouTube. E.g. for those that haven't come across the easiest 2-chord song out there try playing Horse with no Name (America) with just the Em and D chord (or slight variations). This song is perfect for practising switching between those two if you are tired of playing Lisa's song. (No offense, Lisa! I think your songs are absolutely great and I love playing them. I think it's amazing that you go through the trouble of composing songs at all just to fit the course stage!! One of the reasons GT is worth its money!)

About the Em chord, though: the first thing I noticed, when opening the window to look at other players, was that some out there play this chord with 2nd and 3rd finger on the 2nd fret, instead of 1st and 2nd finger. Any reason for that?

My goals 1-2 years from now: being able to play great accoustic songs like Via Chicago by Jeff Tweedy, or Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls. Tips for your catalogue?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/19/2020 9:51 am

Hi Gert

Welcome and good luck with your studies

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2020 3:49 pm

Welcome, Gert!

I’m delighted some of my songs are opening the doors for you to play the songs of your dreams! Yay!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2020 5:43 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gertAbout the Em chord, though: the first thing I noticed, when opening the window to look at other players, was that some out there play this chord with 2nd and 3rd finger on the 2nd fret, instead of 1st and 2nd finger. Any reason for that?

There can be many ways of fingering any given chord. It can depend on the individual player, or the context of the music.

Playing it with the the index & middle finger will make it easier to also include notes on the upper strings with your ring & pinky fingers. Alternately, playing it with your middle & ring can make it easier to use your index finger to play the G string 1st fret for a bluesy type lick.

I encourage beginners to find one way to get it done that works for them! Then later as you expand your skills try to add variations to your chord fingerings for variety. Or just wait until you encounter a musical situation that requires a different fingering, then learn it!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.