What key is a riff in?

pratterr
pratterr
03/13/2020 6:16 pm

Since music is movable how do you know what key single note patterns are in?

Say I'm playing twinkle twinkle little star and the first note is open E. Does that mean it's in the key of E? And if I move the pattern up a half step would it be in F then a whole step to G? I don't know what notes to use with do different keys. Thanks in advance.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2020 9:39 pm
Originally Posted by: pratterrSince music is movable how do you know what key single note patterns are in?[/quote]

The key signature is determined by the closest matching scale used by all or most of the notes of the riff or melody.

Originally Posted by: pratterrSay I'm playing twinkle twinkle little star and the first note is open E. Does that mean it's in the key of E?[/quote]

Yes, but that just because the melody of that tune happens to start on the root note of the E major scale.

To pick another example, Mary Had A Little Lamb starts on the major 3rd scale degree. So, if you start that tune on the note E, then you are in the key of C major. You can determine this by considering all the notes of the melody.

e-d-c-d-e-e-e

d-d-d

e-g-g

e-d-c-d-e-e-e

d-d-e-d-c

You can determine key signature more often by the last note than the first. But even that is not a guarantee. The best method is to consider all the notes as a system.

[quote=pratterr]And if I move the pattern up a half step would it be in F then a whole step to G?

Yes.

[quote=pratterr]I don't know what notes to use with do different keys.

Then all the notes move relative to the root note. This is why it's a great idea to learn scale patterns as numbered degrees.

C major scale for beginners

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

A minor scale for beginners

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=445

And this tutorial on ear training for intervals is a good way to understand why knowing scale degrees is a valuable skill.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2401

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
pratterr
pratterr
03/14/2020 5:41 pm

Yes that is the best answer I seen to a question. Your use of my example made it very clear. I have never played single notes so I thought I would do children's songs for practice is why I ask the question.

I've been trying to learn off and on for 3 years. I can play chords. Open, bar, and a few different 3 and 4 string chords on the high strings.(A B G D) but don't sound musical until I used the song backing tracks.

I am going to do your beginner 2 course next. I believe that i should be a very good place to continue my lessons.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2020 1:52 am
Originally Posted by: pratterrYes that is the best answer I seen to a question. Your use of my example made it very clear. I have never played single notes so I thought I would do children's songs for practice is why I ask the question.[/quote]

You're welcome! Glad you understand. Playing simple melodies to learn single note lines is an excellent idea.

Originally Posted by: pratterrI've been trying to learn off and on for 3 years. I can play chords. Open, bar, and a few different 3 and 4 string chords on the high strings.(A B G D) but don't sound musical until I used the song backing tracks.

Keep working on it! Don't stop now!

[quote=pratterr]I am going to do your beginner 2 course next. I believe that i should be a very good place to continue my lessons.

Good deal! Best of success with it. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.