fretboard memorization

da_teach
da_teach
03/12/2020 5:39 pm

Hi mike,

I hope everything its ok.

I was trying to find the best way to memorice the notes on the fretboard. I have looked some videos on youtube but it looks like everybody has different methods.

I was wondering if you have one method to memorice the notes that you can share with us

Thanks

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2020 12:31 pm

Hi Mike - I have a few things to share for learning the notes on the fretboard:

1) Check out this GT Channel Episode for an exercise that can help:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20459

2) Navigate to the Toolbox section of the site:

https://www.guitartricks.com/toolbox.php

and select the FRETBOARD TRAINER to help sharpen your fretboard knowledge.

3) While you are learning songs, be intentional by taking just a few minutes to identify the notes you are fretting in any chord, or the notes you are playing in a single note phrase or riff, for example. It doesn't take more than a few minutes at a time, and if you do it consistently you'll find your fretboard knowledge increase rapidly!

Hope this helps, let me know how it all goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mikefsm

Hi mike,

I hope everything its ok.

I was trying to find the best way to memorice the notes on the fretboard. I have looked some videos on youtube but it looks like everybody has different methods.

I was wondering if you have one method to memorice the notes that you can share with us

Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
04/11/2020 2:50 am

Timely question mikefsm. Thanks.

And thanks for those tips in your answer Mike O. I just watched your vid linked in 1) & noted suggestions in 3).

I'd already started natively inquisitive on that path tying the positional relationships meaningfully together, and had been actioning what you illustrate in 1) repetitively in a rudimentiary fashion, but your 'how to' use it as a purposed exercise and develop it with speed to cement it rote was guidance at the right time, reinforcing that path as the right one and turning it into both a fun and objective based exercise challenge.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2020 12:11 pm

Excellent!! Great to hear!

Keep on rockin'!

Mike

Originally Posted by: manXcat

Timely question mikefsm. Thanks.

And thanks for those tips in your answer Mike O. I just watched your vid linked in 1) & noted suggestions in 3).

I'd already started natively inquisitive on that path tying the positional relationships meaningfully together, and had been actioning what you illustrate in 1) repetitively in a rudimentiary fashion, but your 'how to' use it as a purposed exercise and develop it with speed to cement it rote was guidance at the right time, reinforcing that path as the right one and turning it into both a fun and objective based exercise challenge.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.