View post (Semi Hollow Body Decision - Advice Please)

View thread

palefave
palefave
02/26/2020 4:59 am

My son (the musician) helped me to mark one of the items off of my Bucket List... Christmas of 2018, he surprised me with my first starter acoustic (it was defective, so with store credit, I upgraded)

It has been a year since I started on the guitar and now have an electric acoustic (refer to my avatar... I am so proud... lol).

I am now looking forward to my next guitar to add to my inventory, which will be electric.

He has several solid bodies and after doing quite a bit of research, and for a few reasons, I have made the decision to go with a semi hollow.

I now have it narrowed down to two... both are Epi's (should I decide to go for a third, I have my eyes on a Gretsch... or maybe I will surprise one my sons with it)

Please give your thoughts between an Epi Dot Deluxe and an Epi ES-335 Pro... both are 335's, both are available in my preferred color, and there is only about a $50 difference, no big deal...

... but as I see the real main diferrence is in the Machine Heads... the Dot Deluxe has Grover Rotomatics with 18:1 ratio... the ES-335 Pro has Wilkinson Vintage Classics with 14:1 ratio

I do understand that the bigger the ratio, the better it will keep tuned... is that enough difference to worry about ?

I have heard and read nothing but praise on the Grover, but Is the Wilkinson a decent product ?

Am I being much too concerned on the Machine Head issue ?

Is it an issue at all ?

I have been reading different blogs (which can be a scary thing), because you just don't know one's real bias, expertise or depth of experience and knowledge.

I thought Guitar Tricks would be the ideal forum with the ideal expertise and knowledge.

Just as I am learning to play, I am also just learning about the equipment (similar to exploring golf equipment)

I am being as cautious as possible... and concerned of getting the model that I will not regret once I get it home...

... and whatever I add to my collection, I do plan to make all equipment I gather, as part of my will...

... my son has made this a family thing and his niece (my granddaughter) was also surprised with an acoustic for that same Christmas... with my other son, who had played before, we are all learning together... an incredible family bonding session, just about every Wednesday night

Too much info ? ... I apologize for that... but please don't hold that against me... I really could use your input

Thanks in advance

Epi Pro-1 Ultra (Trans Blue)

Epi ES-335 Pro (Blue Burst)