Highway to hell?

da_teach
da_teach
02/22/2020 6:33 pm

Hi Mike,

[br]I'm working on the song highway to hell and I need your help.

In the chorus : guitar 1

At 0:56 you are teaching the transition from A power chord to the next chord which is 4th fret on the D.

[br]The question is, when you do this chord, do you let go the D from the second fret? When at look at the video, it seems like you press down both the D string at the 2nd and the 4th fret? the tablature shows you should only press the 4th fret, but maybe doing both is a trick?

[br]Anyways, if you answer is that you only do the 4th fret, then how is that is looks your are pressing the 2nd fret? what do you do? Do you lift your index a little bit? do you even move it?

[br]Please let me know so I can keep!

Thanks

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/22/2020 11:13 pm

I love this song Mike, one of 1st I learned here.

These guys have been "the band" for me since Back in Black was released. That's a long time ago.

Best of luck with the song!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2020 1:07 am

Hey there, thanks for your question!!

Yes that 4th fret of the D string only gets added for one quick strum before we change to the open D power chord. So you are correct, I don't move my index finger off of the 2nd fret of the D string, and I fret the 4th fret of the D string with my ring finger, then lift both off for the next strum which is on that D chord.

You don't need to move your index finger off the 2nd fret because that fret will no longer sound - it's below your ring finger that you put down on the 4th fret of the D string in front of it.

Does that make sense? Let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mikefsm

Hi Mike,

[br]I'm working on the song highway to hell and I need your help.

In the chorus : guitar 1

At 0:56 you are teaching the transition from A power chord to the next chord which is 4th fret on the D.

[br]The question is, when you do this chord, do you let go the D from the second fret? When at look at the video, it seems like you press down both the D string at the 2nd and the 4th fret? the tablature shows you should only press the 4th fret, but maybe doing both is a trick?

[br]Anyways, if you answer is that you only do the 4th fret, then how is that is looks your are pressing the 2nd fret? what do you do? Do you lift your index a little bit? do you even move it?

[br]Please let me know so I can keep!

Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
da_teach
da_teach
02/23/2020 5:47 pm

Yes that 4th fret of the D string only gets added for one quick strum before we change to the open D power chord. So you are correct, I don't move my index finger off of the 2nd fret of the D string, and I fret the 4th fret of the D string with my ring finger, then lift both off for the next strum which is on that D chord.

You don't need to move your index finger off the 2nd fret because that fret will no longer sound - it's below your ring finger that you put down on the 4th fret of the D string in front of it.

Hi Mike!

Happy weekend!

First of all,thanks for that quick reply! I must admit that you are a very dedicated instructor! Mostly becuase on top of having a life you find the time to explain this up to people.

Second, I totally what you're saying about not moving the index finger off the 2nd fret! I will keep on working becuase for now, everytime I do that, my ring finger tends to touch the G string, causing the G and B strings be mutted. Attached a pic

I know that it might take a while but I keep on practicing! I'll appreciate If you have any other idea/suggestion

Thanks

# 4
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2020 7:19 pm

Thanks for including the picture -- I can see that it might be a bit challenging to do that cleanly until your fingers are used to the movement.

Try this: move your index finger down to the 2nd fret of the G string only, and see if that allows your ring finger to curl upwards enough to let that note on the G string ring out properly. This can be tough because, up at tempo, that's a pretty quick move to make with both fingers. But try practicing it slowly and seeing if that helps.

Failing that --- hold that chord (the one you sent in the picture), and experiment with your hand, thumb, and finger positions and see if you can arrive at a position where that ring finger doesn't mute the G and B strings.

This is the same method I suggest for getting good at barre chords -- sometimes, at first, your fingers aren't used to the positioning, so it takes some experimentation to be able to find a position where all notes can ring out properly! If you find a position that works - make a mental note and always try to get your hand in that position when you need to make that chord shape!!

Finally, you could always try it with your pinky instead of the ring finger -- maybe that will make it easier!!

Hope this helps --- keep working on it, it will come!!!

[br]Mike

Hi Mike!

Happy weekend!

First of all,thanks for that quick reply! I must admit that you are a very dedicated instructor! Mostly becuase on top of having a life you find the time to explain this up to people.

Second, I totally what you're saying about not moving the index finger off the 2nd fret! I will keep on working becuase for now, everytime I do that, my ring finger tends to touch the G string, causing the G and B strings be mutted. Attached a pic

I know that it might take a while but I keep on practicing! I'll appreciate If you have any other idea/suggestion

Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 5
da_teach
da_teach
02/24/2020 12:54 am

Finally, you could always try it with your pinky instead of the ring finger -- maybe that will make it easier!!

Hope this helps --- keep working on it, it will come!!!

[br]Mike

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

Thanks again!! I tried using my pinky and it is very effective in terms of getting a clear sound. I will practice with it and also on the regular position.

Again thanks for your help and for that extra motivation you gave me!

# 6
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2020 12:50 pm

You're welcome!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again!! I tried using my pinky and it is very effective in terms of getting a clear sound. I will practice with it and also on the regular position.

Again thanks for your help and for that extra motivation you gave me!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.