View post (Can reach improve with time (for older players)?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/06/2020 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: guitar1916

I'm a new member, in my 40s, and have been playing for about a year. While I am comfortable making most common chords and transitioning, ....SNIP... I still feel that some shapes are almost impossible to make without increased flexibility in my fretting hand. ....SNIP...

Will some chords/shapes always be out of reach (no pun intended) for the older player?

[p]

Apply weakest/limiting link triage.

IME&O limitation of individual reach is primarily a function of hand size and finger length/shape (total span). Fact. Age per se is irrelevant to this.

Secondary consideration is flexibility. Anything affecting this will reduce potential "reach". e.g. Body type. Luck of the draw genetics. Obviously, one can't do anything about this other than maximise what you were born with and buy guitars which are a optimum physical fit for you rather than by the brand on the headstock or endorsement tacit product placement or otherwise by someone with hands like Steve Vai if yours aren't. In the particular neck characteristics. Of note, we've never had it better in that regard.

What one can do with our 'born with bits' is make the most of what we have with flexibility & strengthening exercises, but most importantly IMV&PE, put in the time and slog on the strings. With persistence, repetition and time, flexibility and reach both will improve to their max potential, the third consideration of infirmity notwithstanding.

The most obvious two conditions are arthritis and, or, other injury or deficit e.g. neck surgical nerve injury surgical affecting digit strength or functionality. Although as Christopher touched upon, arthritis can occur earlier, as a general rule, it doesn't kick in in one's forties IMEoL. OTOH being older has significant advantages to learning guitar IMV, the notable exception/negative is reduced maximum potential motor-skill speed. Although the fingers get faster with practice the more one one puts in, peak potential to be a gun shredder has passed IMV. That's a young man's, or woman's, game. How is it that song made famous by The Byrds goes...

To everything (turn, turn, turn)[br]There is a season (turn, turn, turn)[br]And a time to every purpose, under heaven

etc....

Cheers,

manXcat