Mikey54
Mikey54
02/02/2020 8:57 am

Beginner question on notation.

I'm learning the simple version of 'Let it Be'

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=25599&s_id=2130

At the start of the notation what does

[note sign] = 72 mean?

The song is reasonably slow, so the beat (tempo?) feels less than 72bpm.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/03/2020 7:59 pm

Hi mikeyJ.c,

You're correct! The 72 means beats per minute. The song does sound slower than the 72 beats because you may be focusing on the strums. There are 2 strums per bar, and there are 4 beats per bar since it is in 4/4 time. So if you're only paying attention to the strums, it seems twice as slow!

I hope that explains it a little bit for you. Let me know if you have more questions!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Mikey54
Mikey54
02/03/2020 9:48 pm

Ah-ha ..ok think I've got it thanks

I was thinking along those lines & before I got your reply had decided to do a 'tap-along' count from the full performance & see if it matched approx 72 in a minute. Out of interest I tried it anyway. Tthe first count was off but maybe due to the intro or me. On the second (midway through the song) go pretty close 72 taps in 56 seconds.

I had indeed at first been focusing on the strums.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

# 3
jmpilo
Full Access
jmpilo
Full Access
06/14/2023 10:33 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi mikeyJ.c,

You're correct! The 72 means beats per minute. The song does sound slower than the 72 beats because you may be focusing on the strums. There are 2 strums per bar, and there are 4 beats per bar since it is in 4/4 time. So if you're only paying attention to the strums, it seems twice as slow!

I hope that explains it a little bit for you. Let me know if you have more questions!

Regarding tempo. I was going through Anders “How to Use a Metronome for Better Rhythm”. I was thinking that using your metronome tool would be helpful in building solid rhythm skills. Maybe I missed it. But is there somewhere in GuitarTricks that describes the basic functions, and how to use the metronome which can be found the GuitarTricks toolbox Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, Joe

edited
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2023 11:03 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: jmpilo

Regarding tempo. I was going through Anders “How to Use a Metronome for Better Rhythm”. I was thinking that using your metronome tool would be helpful in building solid rhythm skills. Maybe I missed it. But is there somewhere in GuitarTricks that describes the basic functions, and how to use the metronome which can be found the GuitarTricks toolbox Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, Joe

I show how to use an older version of the metronome in the context of practicing scales for beginners.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/451

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
jmpilo
Full Access
jmpilo
Full Access
06/16/2023 4:07 am
#7 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I show how to use an older version of the metronome in the context of practicing scales for beginners.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/451

Thanks for the response. What I am looking for is strictly a user guide for GuitarTricks metronome. I reached out several days ago to the GuitarTricks Admin via email. Asking if they could send me any information. Never heard back.  No problem though. There's so many available to download online. Its just that I'm a big fan of your site!! And was wanting to use the GuitarTricks metronome. Thanks again, Joe  

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.