View post (Sock Pow Zok!!)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/31/2020 2:11 pm

Fun tune! A lot of those horn parts to accompany the punches are tone clusters: very closely voiced notes.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeThis is provided, in part, by musical (or at least auditory) accompaniment to Sock Pow Zok at seconds 10-11[/quote]

For example the first one sounds like a D followed by a G & F.

|-----------------|[br]|-------8--------|[br]|--7---10-------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

After that a 3 note cluster with the minor 3rd on top!

|-------6--------|[br]|-------8--------|[br]|------10-------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

Those are written an octave higher than the horn part in order to make them somewhat playable on guitar. :)[br]

Originally Posted by: dlwalkePow Bif Bam Sok Blap at 31"-32" and Whap Biff Oooof at 33"-34"[/quote]

A little more buried & tricky in the mix. Maybe?

|------------3----|[br]|------3----6----|[br]|------5---------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

Then.

|------------3-----6------|[br]|------3----6-----8------|[br]|------5-----------10----|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|

You can probably simplify some of that down to major 2nds & minor 3rd with an overdriven tone.

|------------------6-----|[br]|------3---8------8-----|[br]|------5---10-----------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|

[quote=dlwalke]To my untrained ear, they sounds a bit like notes from a brass instrumentor from a car horn (which as I understand it are usually 2 notes).

Sure! You've got the idea! There might be an orchestral score out there somewhere that has the actual notation! I did a quick Google search & found only these MIDI file versions. And I'm not even sure how accurate they are. But they seem to capture the same basic idea that I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUe22aEuHE

[quote=dlwalke]For 20 bonus points (Whose Line is it Anyway points), can anyone figure out what the notes are between seconds 4 and 5 in the same video. I've listened to it slowed down and still can't quite figure it out. I'm not even sure I can tell how many notes there are. My best guess is something like G(1st string 3rd fret), G#, G, F, D#, G+D.

That sounds like this to me.

|--------------------------------------------|[br]|--------------------------------------------|[br]|--12--13--12--11--10--11--12-------|[br]|--12--13--12--11--10--11--12-------|

|--------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------|

Interestingly, the piano MIDI version repeats that basically twice. Maybe that's a different version?

Anyway, hope that helps! Have fun with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory