Re-beginner: how bad are my non-standard habits?

ben.r.s
Full Access
ben.r.s
Full Access
01/17/2020 2:25 pm

Hi. I taught myself to play when I was a youth who knew everything. I had fun, but eventually stopped, and took 15 years with my guitar locked in its case. I'm starting again now, with a little more humility.

I've started watching the 'fundamentals 1' videos, and I notice a few areas in which the way I feel comfortable is different to the technique demonstrated. If it makes a difference at all, I'm on an electric.

1) left thumb position. Lisa talks about using the strength of the opposable thumb. I do this, but the pad of my thumb is pressing more in line with the centre of the back of the neck, not peeping (or even wrapping) over the top as it is in the videos.

If I try and match this position, I find my fingers feel a lot less mobile around the fretboard, and the geometry of my hand just doesn't create a firm bar (it's hard to get my index finger straight and across all 6 strings with my thumb in that position).

2) Pick grip. In addition to holding it between my thumb and 1st finger, I've been putting my 2nd finger on the side of the pick. Just feel a little more control.

3) I can't get comfortable playing sitting down. With my right leg nested into the curve of the guitar, it feels like the guitar is too far to the right, and I'm stretching my right arm out to play? (this one isn't too big an issue as I'm comfortable standing for long periods)

4) Instead of keeping my right wrist rigid and pivoting off the top of the guitar, I've been allowing a little wrist movement, and letting my forearm just above my wrist rest lightly against the guitar, somewhere near the bridge. There's still more pressure in the 'correct' pivot point closer to my elbow, and the bit nearer the wrist that rests on the guitar isn't stationary, but it's not quite as described. I'd say that for strumming, about 65% of my motion comes from the elbot pivot, 35% from the wrist movement. For anything more detailed (lead melodies, picking), the balance moves more towards wrist movement.

Am I good to carry on with these quirks, or do I need to break myself out of it now? And if I need to change number 1, I'll need some tips on that - the videos I've reached so far don't seem to cover it, or my hand just don't fit on a guitar the same way the same as most.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/17/2020 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by: ben.swire

1) left thumb position. Lisa talks about using the strength of the opposable thumb. I do this, but the pad of my thumb is pressing more in line with the centre of the back of the neck, not peeping (or even wrapping) over the top as it is in the videos.

If I try and match this position, I find my fingers feel a lot less mobile around the fretboard, and the geometry of my hand just doesn't create a firm bar (it's hard to get my index finger straight and across all 6 strings with my thumb in that position).

[/quote]

There are a lot of guitar players that play this way and also you'll notice that it is used in classical guitar playing (if I read you right). I think a better way to think of it is; most oftem, guitarist wrap their thumb around the neck. Example >>

There are advantages to the way you use your thumb and increased mobility is one of them.

Me? I can't play that way. I feel no control. I gotta wrap around.

There's not real negative to the way you're using your thumb other than comfort and preference and that's cool. No worries. Many rock players play this way too.

2) Pick grip. In addition to holding it between my thumb and 1st finger, I've been putting my 2nd finger on the side of the pick. Just feel a little more control.

[/quote]

If your other finger isn't in the way, I don't see a problem. Again, I'm the opposite. I like my other fingers away from the pick. That's also because I learned early on that my picking was sloppy because of it and when I splayed out my fingers away from the pick, I had much better accuracy.

But again, if it works, no real issue.

3) I can't get comfortable playing sitting down. With my right leg nested into the curve of the guitar, it feels like the guitar is too far to the right, and I'm stretching my right arm out to play? (this one isn't too big an issue as I'm comfortable standing for long periods)

I've been playing for decades and always play with a strap even when sitting down. I can, and often have, played with the knee supporting in the curve but I prefer the strap do the supporting the instrument and not me. I feel like I have my hands freed up from supporting the instrument because the strap does that work for you.

Granted, that's an easier proposition when playing my (reasonbly) light Strat versus my super-heavyweight Les Paul. That Les Paul will weigh you down...but I don't care! ;)

[quote=ben.swire]

4) Instead of keeping my right wrist rigid and pivoting off the top of the guitar, I've been allowing a little wrist movement, and letting my forearm just above my wrist rest lightly against the guitar, somewhere near the bridge. There's still more pressure in the 'correct' pivot point closer to my elbow, and the bit nearer the wrist that rests on the guitar isn't stationary, but it's not quite as described. I'd say that for strumming, about 65% of my motion comes from the elbot pivot, 35% from the wrist movement. For anything more detailed (lead melodies, picking), the balance moves more towards wrist movement.

Honestly, this doesn't sound wrong.

Your elbow should be doing most of the work but your wrist will do some work as well. You just domn't want it the other way around, that your wrist is doing most of the work. You'll quickly get a repetitive stress injury if you did.

Your arm from shoulder to fingertips is a system anddepending on the mostion needed, will dictate what 'part' is going to do most of the work. It's a sliding scale based on what you're playing but generally, your forearm/elbow is the easiest way to move the most muscle groups and control your playing. Wrist and fingers are the 'fine tuners'.

[quote=ben.swire]

Am I good to carry on with these quirks, or do I need to break myself out of it now? And if I need to change number 1, I'll need some tips on that - the videos I've reached so far don't seem to cover it, or my hand just don't fit on a guitar the same way the same as most.

# 2
ben.r.s
Full Access
ben.r.s
Full Access
01/17/2020 9:15 pm

Thanks, that's obviously what I wanted to hear - it's going to speed my re-education if I don't have to correct these things first. That video was interesting, I hadn't seen anybody demonstrating guitar like that; most seem to have a good amount of thumb showing at the top, only occasionally shofting it down more centrally like that.

Re. sitting down, I've tried with a strap. It helps (as the video in fundamentals 1 suggests, it stops me having to grip the guitar to keep it from slipping away), but I still can't get comfortable. If I rest on my leg, the curvature drags it to the right. If I shorten the strap enough that it's not resting on my leg at all, it's too high!

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
01/17/2020 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

I like my other fingers away from the pick. That's also because I learned early on that my picking was sloppy because of it and when I splayed out my fingers away from the pick, I had much better accuracy.[/quote][p]

That's an interesting personal perspective Jeff65. For me, I have superior co-ordination and more control over the pick using a third supporting index finger. But always ready to change if an alternative offers a better way to do something, I'll have to trial investigate and see if your technique offers anything in that regard to me. I'm constantly trying to improve my picking accuracy consistency at speed, and had put it down wholly to achieving that through naturally improving over time with focus and hours logged.

[quote=JeffS65]

I've been playing for decades and always play with a strap even when sitting down. I can, and often have, played with the knee supporting in the curve but I prefer the strap do the supporting the instrument and not me. I feel like I have my hands freed up from supporting the instrument because the strap does that work for you.

[p]

That's because you prefer 'those' guitars with a body that could double as a battleship anchor.

I frequently try to play my LP without, but generally go and get it in the end. No need for a strap with any balanced [u]contemporary[/u] SuperStrat or Tele IME as long as one has some degree of basic coordination & control. 90% of the time I play them without when sitting. I don't find [u]any[/u] difficulty or issue in the transition to standing position with strap with them.

To the OP. Re individual idiosyncrasy. In my experience and observation thus far, rules relating to physicality in playing guitar are adaptive guidelines rather than 'inscribed in stone' law. I think this offers an example of case in point, "we're all built differently, so it's OK" summation in answer to the gist of your post.

# 4
ben.r.s
Full Access
ben.r.s
Full Access
01/18/2020 2:19 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

To the OP. Re individual idiosyncrasy. In my experience and observation thus far, rules relating to physicality in playing guitar are adaptive guidelines rather than 'inscribed in stone' law. I think this offers an example of case in point, "we're all built differently, so it's OK" summation in answer to the gist of your post.

Thanks. I realised there would be differences across guitar players the world over. I think my worry was that I was doing something that would work perfectly well up to lower-intermediate standard, but then become a roadblock to real success later. From the videos you've both posted, looks like it's not an issue.

# 5
jgergeceff
jgergeceff
03/08/2020 6:23 am

I'm going to work hard to break some bad habits and play more with a pick . That's just one new goal. I'm so excited to be here .

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.